or Connect

Posts by cicada

My son has always had a fairly short fuse, but very rarely has had "meltdowns" for the past couple years. But starting a couple of weeks ago, he started throwing full-out tantrums about seemingly small things, such as doing the chores he has done (albeit begrudgingly) since the beginning of summer: putting his clothes away and brushing teeth at night. Other than the out of control tantrums, he has been increasingly needy: used to go to bed on his own, now has to be put to...
it's at least good to know there's someone out there with the same issue! good luck to us!
I've been a stepmom now for going-on 5 years. My stepson is 9 and in the 3rd grade and my son is 4 and just beginning to homeschool. My stepson has been through 6 school changes in his life that have all been initiated by his Bio-Mom. One of those changes was when he was in the First grade when she moved an hour away and decided to homeschool. My husband did all the homeschooling work during that time (he'd always wanted to homeschool my SS) and DSS thrived. Then she...
i bet you're right about the butter/coconut oil conversion. do you think honey, butter and unsweetened chocolate would work with no added sugar/sucanat? or do you think the cocoa holds it together?
i made this great and healthy fudge recipe and highly recommend it: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...crmptious.html but i'm thinking butter's not bad for you, so what about a recipe that uses butter instead of coconut oil, but is sweetened with only honey. is that possible? i don't have time or money to experiment, so i was wondering if any of you fine ladies has a recipe or any ideas for me. also thinking about other holiday food gift ideas made with natural...
maybe try yogurt, kefir, soft cheeses, pot roast, avacadoes, and smoothies? his list of wills doesn't sound terribly bad, especially if the bread is a good quality sourdough. i'd just give him lots and lots of butter, yogurt if he'll eat it, and keep trying new foods all the time. you could always throw a fresh, good quality (local if possible) egg yolk in the smoothie. or an avacado. and especially some yogurt. toddlers don't really even have the digestive...
what are everybody's favorite traditional winter holiday foods? do you make exceptions for certain holiday foods? (i'll admit i do) do you revamp conventional recipes to be healthier? what truly traditional holiday foods do you enjoy year after year? (eggnog, pickled beets, etc.) p.s. i'd love recipes!
i don't know how most moms know just what to say to calm another mama down, but i really appreciate y'all's help. i really hadn't even thought about how easy keeping soup on the stove would be. that's a fantastic idea (and a real "duh" moment for me...) in fact, yesterday when i came home from work my husband had an oxtail that i'd forgotten about on the stove and we had oxtail and mashed potatoes. sometimes i get it and sometimes i can't see the forest for the...
Some info on sprouting beans and grains: Here's what the WAPF website says about soaking beans: Soak legumes in plenty of water that has been brought to a simmer and poured over the beans; add about 1/4 cup of something acidic (lemon juice, vingear or whey) to black beans, lentils and fava beans but soak other types of beans (white beans, brown beans and dried peas) in plain water--preferably soft water or water with a pinch of baking soda added. You don't need to...
this is a rant. i'll admit it now. I work full-time (working non-stop every weekend from Fri @ 5pm to Mon @ 8am), supporting my husband who is taking 17 credit hours at the local university this semester. I also homeschool my son (which also takes us 30 min away from home twice a week all day to attend the closest Homeschool Co-op). Our family also lives off the grid; all of our heating comes from a woodstove and our only refrigeration is a cooler. I'm overwhelmed...