or Connect

Posts by CalaRei

At our church nursery, we often have a tween helper in addition to a parent adult supervisor.  They are very close to a mother's helper in this role, and we even give them a small stipend.  I have noticed that they often end up letting themselves be treated exactly as you describe above by the more rambunctious (unfortunately even my own) older toddlers/preschoolers if the parent supervisor does not step in.  They're the ones that get tumbled on, climbed on, etc...
We have this book "Sleepy Little Yoga" and read/follow it almost every day.  It is lots of fun, and just perfect.  Give it a shot!
We got ours as a Christmas gift last year (kids were just over 2 y/o).  I like to say it was a better gift to me than them, because it allows me to get a lot done.  Now... there is a lot of jockeying that goes on between them on the stand these days, and soon we're going to have to either kick them out in favor of little sister, or find some other solution.  (Also... they've started "leaning" over the counter instead of standing on the lowered platform, so that drives me...
We are very far away from all of our family.  My parents will be coming to visit, but have already chosen and shipped ahead a small(ish) gift for each of the kids.  Hubby's side does send presents, but you can only mail so much, and others just send gift cards.   So, I'll admit that we'll probably get a good many gifts for the toddlers.  For one thing, new toys for them also means a little less monotony for me - so I'll admit it's somewhat selfish.   Their...
I've come to agree with myself that I will always be OK with a few things as substitution for dinner.  Cottage cheese, can of olives, any kind of fruit.  That sort of thing.  No, I won't make a sandwich, no you can't have cereal.  But I'm not going to begrudge an apple.  (Or at least, I tell myself that I won't.  It's hard when you've put work into a meal, and they won't even LICK it.  I know.)   I'd pick out a few things that you're ok with and have them available...
  This sling got my baby girl from Seattle to Pittsburgh and back, in tow along with her twin brothers.  This particular day was hot hot hot, and we were at family amusement park.  I could nurse her to keep up her fluids as discretely as I needed to, and carry her comfortably all over the park while her big brothers had fun.  In this picture, we're riding on a train!  It was absolutely the ONLY way our trip would have worked.    :)
I get the "if you can't show them... what are they supposed to do" sense from some art books, too.  (First Art)  They tell you not to "amend" your child's artwork, or work along side them to discourage them... but I had the SAME problem you mentioned with playdough exactly!  I end up playing alongside, but not on top of them.  Sometimes I prompt with a fun story about say... their farm animals to give them a "script" to start off from.  I do art with them, but I don't do...
Phew, am I glad to see these lists from you folks.  I keep telling myself to do the best I can and that it's all just a phase.  I especially am comforted that all other kids seem to go through an eat anything phase into this toddler disapproval phase.   It's a little stranger having twins at this stage - they each have their own opinions (duh, I guess) but then will change their minds.  I just try to keep the "carb load" meal to once a day.   T is hit or miss on...
If I have a minute to unwind, I'm trying to retrain myself away from snacks, much like you.  I do like tea, though - I actually like the "ritual" of making it, so maybe that would be nice for you.  I ALSO started playing guitar (looking for a teacher again) so I'll do that (even just scales) for 5 minutes.  If I have longer alone, I knit/crochet.  Or take a bath.   In the moment, sometimes I'll do a big ol' "lions breath" like in yoga - it's invigorating.  :)
What do you do when the question or phrase keeps getting repeated despite you responding to it, sometimes in several different manners?  We've been going with:  "Answer."  "Rephrase answer."  "I already told you, answer!"  "I already answered that, what did I say?"(ie, *I* repeat the question, and try to get them to answer it.)  "Change subject."     The changing subject thing usually works, but not very well, and still... that's already like 5 or 6 repeats of the...