or Connect

Posts by Daffodil

To me, being a feminist just means believing that women should have the same rights and opportunities as men (and vice versa.)  Is there anyone here who doesn't believe that?  Probably just about all of us are feminists.
Would you trust him with a knife?  Most kids that age would probably love to get a pocket knife and use it for whittling.  Or how about clay?  Sewing or knitting?  Or a small pet like a mouse that he could take out and handle?
Why are you thinking about homeschooling?  Is school not working out well for your kids?  What are your reasons for thinking homeschooling might work out better?  Explaining those reasons to him would probably be a good way to start.  Does he have specific reasons why he thinks it won't work?  You can listen to his reasons, think carefully about whether they make sense, and then explain to him why you disagree (assuming you do disagree.)   You could also point out to him...
 Good idea.  After all, everyone reads and writes well, has a good understanding of math, is fluent in English, and has enough free time outside of work.  No one ever lets mental illness, drug addiction, or personal problems get in the way of providing good parenting and thoughtful consideration of their child's educational needs.  We all have it in us to be awesome teachers! I'm not all that impressed with the job schools are doing, but I don't think the Common Core is...
I guess nearly every skill can be learned more quickly as kids get older.  Tying shoes, for instance.  If you waited to teach a kid how to tie shoes until he was 10, I bet it would take a lot less instruction than it usually does for a 6 year old.  But that doesn't mean 6 is too young to learn.  A two year old, though, probably isn't going to be able to learn no matter how much instruction you give him.  It's easy to say the 2 year old isn't developmentally ready, but how...
That sounds normal, based on what I saw with my kids. They're both very bright and learned to sound out words at an early age, but even so it took them a surprisingly (to me) long time to learn to put together separate sounds and recognize the word they made.  To an adult, the concept seems so obvious that you'd think a single quick demonstration would be enough to get the idea across, but it wasn't nearly as obvious to my kids as I thought it would be. I demonstrated it...
What about the American Girl books?  Looks like most of them are about 4th grade level and they're nice and short with pictures.
As I mentioned above, I had my second child at 43.  I got my first period right around the time I turned 13, maybe a month or two before.  I'm about to turn 52 now and obviously heading toward menopause but have mostly still been getting a period every month.
I just want to point out that the OP asked for books at about the same reading level as the Magic Tree House books, but I don't think any of the suggestions offered in this thread so far are actually at that level - they're all more difficult books that might work as read-alouds but probably not for the OP's son to read to himself.  I'm not sure I can come up with any good suggestions myself, though.  The Boxcar Children is a bit higher reading level that the earlier Magic...
My opinions: 1) Punishment is usually a bad idea.2) Pretty much all the time.  Or hardly at all, depending on what exactly you mean by control.  You want to keep your kid from hurting other people or himself or damaging property.  You probably want to make sure he brushes his teeth, uses a car seat or seatbelt, eats something besides candy, etc.  So you should always be ready to step in and stop mean or dangerous behavior or enforce health and safety rules. But you...