or Connect

Posts by Daffodil

One to three subjects per day would be typical for us.  Eight or 9 subjects seems like a lot to cover at all, let alone in a single day.  (But maybe what I would call "writing" you break down into smaller bits like spelling, handwriting, grammar, and composition.)  Our days vary widely, but there are probably some days where the kids do some writing, some math, some independent reading, and something relating to science or social studies.  Maybe there could even be some...
I'm in Vermont, too. You aren't required to have anything about penmanship in your course of study.  All that's required is that you have goals in the broad area of language arts.  They describe that as "reading and writing," but they don't specifically say that your goals have to include both writing and reading.  I don't see why your writing goals couldn't involve typing instead of printing by hand, and I suspect you could actually leave out writing entirely if you...
How old are your kids?  Eleven hours between bedtime and wake-up sounds like a lot to me for school-aged kids.  If it's taking them an hour or two to fall asleep, maybe that means they don't need to go to bed so early.  If you let them stay up another hour or two, that would give them time to play with big-kid toys.  And maybe some days you could let them play with big-kid toys instead of having art time.  (Or instead of some of the academic time.)   Your day sounds...
  Sure, there are people like that.  You might be able to find them by googling something like "[your state] dyslexia assessment."  In my state, there's this place, for instance.  If he's definitely starting school in the fall, the school will also be able to assess him and figure out what issues he might have.   I'm wondering about what you said about how you skipped lessons.  How much actual instruction has he gotten?  If you've basically told him nothing about how...
I don't know what the average cost is, or the average cost for people who buy curriculum, but our cost is pretty close to zero.  I do spend money on some educational things - a Snap Circuits set, museum visits, a caterpillar field guide, a good net for collecting insects, etc.  But a lot of that is money I'd spend even if my kids were in school, so the additional cost just because we're homeschooling is almost nothing.
My kids have never been particularly interested in potty humor. I wonder if one reason they aren't is that DP and I have never made it into a forbidden thing.  We don't care if they talk about poop or pee or butts.  We've never tried to limit where or when they could talk about that stuff and we're probably at least as likely as they are to engage in potty humor.   Maybe talking about poop doesn't seem so irresistibly funny if the people around you don't think it's a big...
I also have a 7 year old who has a hard time handling it when things aren't going his way.  I found The Explosive Child to be a helpful book, even though my kid isn't as dramatically explosive as most of the kids described in the book.  Basically the idea is that some kids just don't have the emotional skills to handle being frustrated.  Punishment and rewards won't help improve their behavior much, because they don't have good control over their behavior.  In the heat...
Best nonfiction book so far this year: Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks.  Or maybe Why Does the World Exist? by Jim Holt.   Best fiction so far this year: The Professor's House by Willa Cather   Best book read last year: Middlemarch by George Eliot
  One place we've found a lot of them is Tatum Park in Middletown.
I gave birth at Overlake 10 years ago.  I don't know what it's like now, but at that time it seemed pretty good.  Rooming-in was the standard.  I suppose they must have had a nursery somewhere but it was never even mentioned as an option.  They never tried to take the baby away for testing or anything; she was with me the whole time.  There was good breastfeeding support.  The people who did education at the hospital and the people at the women's clinic that provided...