or Connect

Posts by jenners26

Thanks so much for all the input so far! I'm lol'ing at the back up trains...DH and I were just talking about that the other night! "Why are we torturing ourselves!?!" :) For those who have said you have kids who do similar things...do you mind sharing with me HOW you handle it? Right now, I feel like much of the time we spend "preventing/avoiding." For example, we make sure we have a small stock pile of the main foods he "fixates" on, so we don't run out. But when...
DH and I are in the process of getting our 3yo DS evaluated through Early Intervention, but I could use a little input/advice here. I have no idea what we're looking at as a diagnosis for him, so maybe it would be easier if I just gave you a few examples of the things we've noticed. 3yo was a late walker/talker. He went from not walking at all one day, to literally standing up to the couch and walking across the living room the next. He was 18 months old when this...
The map is pretty decent sized. It hangs on his wall...I'm terrible at this, but I'd guess it's maybe 2 feet by 3 feet-ish?? There are usually 3 online games. Things like puzzles of the map of the world, scrambled words, I think there was a soccer-themed game when they went to Brazil. They're cute...7yo thinks they're a lot of fun.
I get it for my 7yo. He loves it! He's not a reader, so he needs help with the worksheet and the online games, but he still really enjoys it. Each month he gets a letter, 2 little "souvenirs" from the country that they visited, a sticker for his passport, and pin sticker to put on his big map, a photo, and a luggage tag with your code for the online games. It's nothing fancy, but he loves to get mail, and loves adding his new treasures to his suitcase. (Your first kit is...
Hey Jeramiah, We're in similar situations, actually: I have a 7yo, 3yo, 2yo, and 10mo. Life is lovely, but chaotic most days, huh? I think the day-to-day can sometimes become overwhelming when you have so many that are so young, so it can be helpful to step back and examine what's REALLY bothering you. Your kids are 6, 5, 2, and 1, right? So take the 2yo and the 1yo out of the eqution, because they're not school age anyway. Technically, the 5yo wouldn't...
I think Back to School season is the last area I need to "deschool." Because I went to public school, late-August has the same sort of renewal/new beginning feeling to me, that the first of the year has. I can't really let go of it for some reason! I totally know what you mean though. Lately we're being bombarded with "Has school started? Who's your teacher? What grade are you in" questions. I read somewhere the other day that a lot of people don't know how to talk...
We were there recently...Hubs was laid off in November, and we had a month worth of severence pay. Here are a few things we did: *If you have student loans, get them put in deferment/forebarence. *Apply for food stamps/WIC. *Take some of your remaining pay and create an emergency stockpile: toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, deoderant, advil, razors, dishwasher/laundry detergent, etc. Things we knew food stamps wouldn't cover but that we figured we'd need and may not...
You could look into your state's WIA program. It's run through the unemployment office, but is available for lots of people. I've heard they help pay for everything from tuition to gas to scrubs!
Ugh. The nighttime whining is torturous! She's doing a little better though. We have a section of our entry way (about 4ftx4ft) gated off for her. We have some blankets, her water bowl, her crate, and a puppy pad in there. We've found that if we leave her out to play until she calms down and falls asleep, and then put her in the entry way, she'll lay down and go to sleep, and now she seems to be associating sleep with that area. I hope...The whining is just...
Oh my! It has been busy, but really good. She's only peed on the puppy pad or outside, and hasn't had any accidents yet! Yay!! I'm trying really hard to follow that book from the links you gave me. My only problem so far is that she HATES her long-term confinement place we set up for her. She whines/barks non-stop when she's in there. The kids keep asking to go in with her, but so far I've made them play with her only in the living room. Any tips on weaning her...