or Connect

Posts by Tithonia

For me hearing the heartbeat on a Doppler the first time (around 11 weeks, I think), was all it took. We don't do ultrasounds, but I could see that that would have a similar impact: "Whoa, there's really someone in there!" I'm really enjoying this one's movement, too. I can't remember how I felt about that the first time around.
My niece, born a few years ago, has a (very beautiful) name that gives the initials BM, and she even has a T-shirt with just her initials on it. When she was a couple of years old my mom said to me that she wished they hadn't given her those initials, and my response was, "Uh, why?" So even adults don't always make the connection... I'm not even sure if I had heard of that use of those letters before then... So I think it's no big deal, and I'm the kind of person who...
For me it's less a matter of the studies that have been done so far than the feeling that it's not right for my baby. We're going to quit with the Doppler too (except during labor) because of the way the baby reacts to it, like he/she is trying to get away. It's a distinct feeling, different from any other movement I've felt this very active baby make! So I'm going to go ahead and listen to what my baby is saying to me rather than what standard medical practice is...
One thing I've found helpful is to go on hands and knees and then lift one knee at a time and rotate it in small circles. (I usually do about 12 circles on one side and then switch.)
I decided to save up and get the home study course. It came last week, and I am very excited!!! I'm still figuring out exactly how to fit it into my life, but I figure I have time (I'm 23 weeks tomorrow). At first it seemed like a big commitment, but after I listened to the first CD assignment I thought--is it really that hard to commit to relaxing every day? I've been listening to the Joyful Affirmations while going to sleep as they suggested, but I find that I want...
DDCC too... Mine broke sometime while I was hanging out in the tub during labor... At least, when we called the midwife to come on over she checked me and wanted me to get out of the tub because of that (I was at 8 cm then).
We're still hanging in there, usually for naptime. I pretty much only let her nurse (dry nursing) on one side at this point, since the other side is just too painful. I'm waiting to see how things go... I think I'll be fine either way if she decides to stop or if she wants to tandem nurse. I am really looking forward to actually producing milk again and not just being a pacifier!
I realized early on that this was my biggest lingering fear about going with my current MW, who doesn't suture. I apparently had a 2nd degree tear with my first birth, although I actually never noticed it. (Didn't notice tearing, didn't bother me when they stitched it up, never bothered me afterward.) However, when I thought about it further, I realized that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have torn if I had had my current MW for my first birth. My MWs then did directed pushing...
I don't know if you're still looking for responses, but this was a HUGE issue for us, so I thought I'd chime in. Keeping my last name was very important to me, mostly for feminist-type reasons, but having the same last name as DH is also really important to both of us. He would have actually been willing to change HIS name when we married, but that would have really upset his family, who we are very close to. So we decided to put our names together, his first (so mine...
Totally not planning to get one unless there's some medical indication. I didn't with my first and am happy that way. I don't want to see the baby yet, don't want to know the gender, would not terminate a pregnancy, and am low-risk for everything. I know that life comes with risks, and I will never be able to be absolutely certain that my child will always be okay, whether before, during, or after birth. I completely understand that for some women having an ultrasound can...