or Connect

Posts by Tithonia

The thought of the "standard" American glucose tolerance test makes my skin crawl, too. Aren't we supposed to do healthy things during pregnancy? Fasting for 8 hours and then having a super-sugary drink on an empty stomach really doesn't strike me as a healthy choice for mother or baby. Fortunately for me, my midwives for my first pregnancy (in Toronto, where they tend to be more evidence-based in their care than most places in the States) don't even recommend doing the...
When I was researching prenatals, the other well-loved brand I came across was New Chapter. That's what I went with, and really like them. They're also food-based, but you do have to swallow 3 (but they're a LOT smaller than "typical" prenatals!).
What a fun discussion! Reading this thread has totally made my day! Books!!! I just re-read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth too, and this time I just loved it and found it really uplifting. I also read some sections of Active Birth--interesting information about tearing (something I'm worried about). Also thinking about taking a look at the first section of the Baby Whisperer again. She's a bit annoying at times, and her "system" is too set in stone for me, but I...
Wow, I know how you feel! This was my biggest worry about birthing in our ugly, hot, tiny, weird apartment in Toronto. A run-down, small apartment in Toronto in July was NOT my ideal "home" setting for birth. I was worried that I wouldn't feel comfortable making noise because of the neighbors, too. But like others have said, when it came down to it, it was great. I labored during the night, so things were relatively quiet, but I doubt I would have noticed if they...
I just want to add to all the good advice that's already been given: it helps to know what's going on. If you study the pictures and descriptions in a book like "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way," you may be able to recognize the sensations you are feeling in terms of what is actually happening inside you, and for some people this changes the way they experience labor. My sister, who describes her second labor as painless, says that this is what she did. Feeling...
This pregnancy was a big shock for us, so we told immediate family and a couple of really close friends early on just because it had overtaken our lives so much that everyone would have thought we were insane or something if they didn't know why we were acting weird and emotional. Besides, it's great to have the support. Thinking about telling extended family and friends and community soon-ish, but... I don't like people looking at me like I'm pregnant, so I'm putting...
Have you tried some natural induction methods? My sister was at almost 42 weeks with her second, and she did a lot of walking and used cohosh from her midwife to help get things going. (I used cohosh for my DD too, at 11 days past EDD, and she was born within 12 hours.) I think my sister was also seeing a good chiropractor around that time. The labor was totally natural and she describes it as painless, and the baby turned out to be 11 lbs 9 oz.
Sounds like fun. I'll join in!
I had a strong feeling that this one is a girl up until last week when we heard the heartbeat, and suddenly I realized it might be a boy. Right now I'm not sure what I think! I waiting to dream about this baby, since all of my dreams during my pregnancy with DD were of a girl, even though I thought she was a boy for much of the pregnancy. But I assumed she was a girl at the beginning, so maybe this one is a girl... And the Chinese birth calendar predicted DD accurately,...
Hang in there! I know how you feel--my dad (also a very healthy man in his 70s) was diagnosed with prostate cancer while I was pregnant with my first. It was so, so scary and hard, especially since I didn't get to see him during almost the whole pregnancy. (I'm sure extra hormones rushing around don't make dealing with this kind of news any easier.) He made it through, though, and just has to keep an eye on things for now. I wish the same for your dad.