or Connect

Posts by Tithonia

Sweet Pea has an overactive sense of humor (like her mother), and I love it when she laughs and laughs at a little thing, like seeing her Daddy or the dog. Sometimes we all three just laugh and laugh because her laughter is so contagious!
We swaddled our LO for night time until she was close to 8 months, and weaned slowly off naps for awhile before that. I don't know if other babies are like this, but Sweet Pea's hands are constantly moving until she's solidly asleep, so we mostly swaddled to keep her from clawing herself awake all the time. We gradually started leaving one arm out for naps, then both arms if she could get to sleep that way, and then she (finally!) decided to start nursing to sleep for...
I don't know if you're looking for any more responses, but just in case: We worried about this, too, and would try to move her head to the side, but sometimes she just didn't want to! If she fussed when we tried to shift her head we would usually let her be for a bit and then try again. One comforting thing is that if you pay attention you can feel the baby breathing when s/he is snuggled so close. At least I hope that's comforting! My DD is 9 months now and we still wear...
I highly recommend butternut squash for something over winter that doesn't need canning--we just ate the last one from last year's garden about two weeks ago! Woo-hoo! Yes, we did have to cut off part of it, but still! I think it's amazing! And want to add my vote to growing your own dill--yum, and it reseeds it self. And I loved pickled beets when I was little. (I don't like them anymore. How weird is that? I thought it always went the other way around!)
I've been following this thread with interest, and have come up with three aspects to the toy issue for our family: 1. People are more important than things. This means that we are committed to an anti-materialist approach to our life, both animate and inanimate members. This applies not only to our attitude toward acquisition of things (or lack thereof), but also guides our larger family philosophy. It impacts the way we choose to spend our time, the things we talk and...
As to how I do it with such a little one, I'm fortunate to have the perfect co-parenting arrangement. My husband is also working on his Ph.D., so we go halves. I take Sweet Pea in the morning, he takes her in the afternoon. He changes her diapers, I feed her. Yeah, we're the kind of people who do everything together. I can't imagine how I'd cope if DH had a full-time job away from home, even without the whole Ph.D. thing! The only problem is I tend to spend my...
Although my mom and mom-in-law are both wonderful people, they also started pressuring me about starting DD on solids at around 6 months. I really felt like she wasn't ready (not sitting up on her own yet, no teeth, wanting to grab everything and put it in her mouth with no special distinction for food, plus just a strong feeling that she wasn't ready). After she started really watching us eat and slurping, I finally let my mom give her a taste of broccoli, and a week...
Wow, caspian's mama, thanks for the rundown on detox! That sounds really attractive to me, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until we have a little more cash flow. Just want to say to clothdipemomof2boy and anyone else who's waffling, we're here to support you in whatever choices you make with your body! I really encourage you to keep trying, though, because it's GREAT when you get to the point of being totally comfortable totally hairy. But just take it gradually if...
I'm interested too! We've never bought any toys for our 8-month-old, although she has some that people have given her and some hand-me-downs. We got rid of any battery-powered noise-making ones that people gave us, though. Like others have said, she likes real stuff like pans. She especially loves feeling (and tasting!) glass and paper. And bananas. I'd be really interested to find out more about other people's approaches on the subject.
Thanks for the welcome, Aletheia! I love your user name! I've been working for awhile on Hannah Arendt, particularly some of her exciting ideas on natality, unpredictability, and storytelling. For my dissertation I want to bring her approach to story together with a certain genre of young adult fiction which I think can be considered philosophy. Ursula Le Guin's "Tehanu" is one I especially want to work with. The feminist aspect is what I get really excited...