or Connect

Posts by Tithonia

Having grown up TV-free myself, and definitely going to be bringing my daughter up the same way (right now it feels like she's too young to officially "count"!), the answer is an emphatic yes! I also have a bevy of homeschooled, TV-free nieces and nephews (and two non-homeschooled, non-TV-free, but still nice kids), and their relationship to the consumer culture is also, well, pretty much non-existent except through in-laws. I was wondering if the consumer culture has...
When times were hard, my parents used to say, “This too shall pass.” I didn’t realize then that this applies to the good times, too. As evening falls, I lie down beside my infant daughter on the bed, offer her my breast. She nurses intently, yet dreamily, eyes half closed. Occasionally she pulls off and gazes at me for a moment, then shares a sparkling smile. The night ahead of us is shrouded in darkness. I give myself to you, my daughter. Mysteriously my body makes...
I think the craziest thing is when people who really don't know your baby, or babies in general, try to give you advice. When my DD was about 3 months old she would take about 5 40-min. naps per day. She would hang out with my DH in the library while I was in class, and one day a middle-aged bachelor student, who often gave him unwelcome advice, told him that we should stop letting her nap so much, so she would sleep better at night. Um... she was sleeping through the...
Just wondering, what is a detox? I've heard of it before, but don't know what it is.
Ooh, can I join? Too often I wonder why on earth I decided to do this, so a support community is just the thing! Name: Tithonia Age: 28 Children and birthdays: DD, 7/07 Academic Area: Philosophy Stage of Degree: done with coursework, working on dissertation proposal Goal for 2008: a Really Good dissertation proposal (ha! ha!) and hopefully comps Geographical Location: Iowa, soon to be southern Illinois
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here, just exploring everything and happy to have found this tribe! I felt pressured into shaving legs and underarms when I went to high school, as so many girls do... and sometime enjoyed the smooth legs, if I remember right (but not the numbness, cuts, rashes, etc.!) But I started down the road to raving feminism in college and struggled with the shaving issue. Fortunately I met several proud, hairy, wonderful female friends there, and...
Hi everyone, I posted a question in the diapering forum when I joined a couple of days ago, but I thought it would be polite to post an introduction as well. I'm so glad this community exists! My husband and I have a beautiful 8-month-old daughter, exclusively cloth diapered, still almost exclusively breastfed, cosleeping, no vaccinations yet... We had a happy homebirth in our little Toronto apartment, are living temporarily in Iowa, and are heading for Illinois in a...
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. DH also has the idea of putting a stitch or two in the back to keep the flap down, but I'm wondering if that will make un-waterproof spots as well. Maybe we'll try both things and see which works better. Thanks again for the recommendation!
Hi, I have very much enjoyed reading all the diapering information on here, but haven't been able to find anything about our particular problem. We have used Bumkins covers with regular ol' prefolds since our DD was born 8 months ago, and really like them a lot. Recently, however, we have had trouble with the back ventilation flap coming up during the night as she wiggles around, which lets her clothes and the bed (we recently went to full cosleeping from having her...