or Connect

Posts by crosscat

HA! I noticed this thread and thought, oh I should tell E. to look here. Anyway... we had a horrible heat wave this summer that kept us indoors for about six weeks, here's some of the things we did: Play-Doh Finger painting Cooking (or pretend cooking with some dry rice or beans in a bowl with a spoon. She likes to play with wet quinoa in the kitchen, too.) SOFA FORT! Reading Playing the matching game Puzzles DRESS UP! Look at old photo albums. Chores. She loves...
Does she wear panties or waterproof trainers at day care? My EC'ed daughter is a few months older, and attends the infant/toddler section of a preschool. I send her there in waterproof trainers (though she is in cotton panties at home) just so if there is an accident it will be well contained. They were very interested in learning about ECing at her school and happy to work with us, no matter what, though. She has only had two misses at school (she actually tells...
^ Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate hearing from someone with a BTDT perspective. I'd be grateful if you'd share the email you mentioned in your post. Feel free to PM me, or post here for others to see as well. I'm already feeling less concerned about it.
My daughter is 21 months old, and we've EC'ed her using cloth diapers as a backup until she was about 18 months when we switched to cloth panties at home, and pullups during outings (she never has misses in them, but we all feel less stressed with something waterproof on and she refuses to wear the waterproof trainers I bought I think because they remind her of diapers?). We go days/weeks without misses at this point, but it is still very much a joint effort. If I don't...
Hi mamas! So ECing is going really well and we love it. I'm so glad we decided to do this. I have a question, though, I noticed this week that DD (11 months old) now usually grabs her crotch when she's sitting on the potty. She has actually peed on her hands a few times. Any other EC babies do this? I'm just wondering if she is just exploring her body (she grabs her crotch occasionally when she is nakey butt, too), or if it could be a symptom of a health...
Cute cute pics HRSmom! I didn't know that about the UV coating, though DD's glasses do have it. Glad to know for future reference! Target does have some hats with chin straps right now, though I wish the brim were a bit bigger. My baby has three hats, only one with a chin strap (the one from Target), but she doesn't pull her other ones off, which surprises me... Hey if you're crafty, you could probably make a strap for a hat! The target hats just have velcro at...
Well... Gram bought DD some shades, so here are a few thoughts... Baby sunglasses and front carry babywearing = completely incompatible! Tried it once and the glasses wound up on the side of her head because they were getting bumped by my boobs each time she'd turn her head to look from one side to another. We put them on her in the car seat on bright days and sometimes she leaves them there (often), but frequently she takes them off and chews on them. Any...
Another thought... I doubt that ADHD or short attn spans can be attributed to any one thing. Short naps could be a factor for some children, but exposure to too much television, not enough open-ended play, not enough reading, and perhaps heredity could be other factors as well, all of which could contribute. I wouldn't worry so much about ADHD specifically, personally, but there's nothing wrong with trying to help your baby enjoy longer naps, if you want to explore that....
Times vary a bit, depending on when she wakes up, but here's a typical day for my 6 month old and me: 6:30 Wake 7:00 Breakfast (we do BLW, so I just give her a banana or something to play with while I eat) 7:30 Nap 1 9-9:30 Wake - Play, go for a walk, read, hang out, etc 11-11:30 Nap 2 1:30 Wake - Play, go for a walk, dance to music, read, hang out, etc 3:30-4 Nap 3 (short nap - I usually wear her or hold her during this one) 4:30-5 - Play, watch Daddy cook while being...
Hi - we were in the Oct DDC together. Sleep is such an enigma, but I feel it's very important for babies (as well as adults) in general. I don't know about that particular study, but I have heard there is a direct correlation between the amount of REM sleep a baby gets and the amount of time the baby spends in the quiet alert state, which is when a lot of learning occurs. Anyway, Calla was sleeping only 40 minutes for naps unless I wore her until a few months ago when...