or Connect

Posts by Chiromom

Hi Lizette! Hi Kris! It's old home week for chiros here I guess! (Or else I haven't been around enough lately.) Let me be just another chiro in a list of chiros saying, YES, Chiropractic can help the body heal itself and function better. YES, I have had patients with fertility issues (male and female) have successful pregnancies after stabilizing their spine and nerve system through chiropractic care. It will likely take more than one or two adjustments to give...
Quote: Originally Posted by GriffinsMom IMO, Kara San was just heads above the other two but they picked Jay. No way was his line better than Kara's but they still picked him. I think they knew Kara could/would make it on her own and so they picked Jay for the 'human interest' aspect. Wendy wasn't even really in contention as far as I'm concerned. That's why I'm worried Dan V. or Chloe won't win - they are both really good designers and I think...
She was quoted in last week's US mag (ducking head in shame because I read this) as saying "I don't know why but somehow I think surgery is in my future. My mom and the women in my family have a lot of problems with pain. Pain is okay for some women, but I just cannot handle it" (paraphrased from memory) I haven't read the latest story of her birth but she had an entire three page spread about her plans for birth last week and mentioned NOTHING about pre-eclampsia or...
Hi guys! Just thought I'd check in to say hello. I'm off to teach my Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth class. The last time I did this class was three weeks before Peeves was born. Almost 8 months ago! Holy Cows! I saw the blogring at the end of the last post. I don't think I can join 'cuz my blog is on Blogger, not Xanga. Hmmm. Sucks! I write almost everyday, but I'm NOT starting a new blog. Damn. Mar
I had my first in about 6 hours My second in 1.5 hours My third in about 3 hours I hate raspberry tea, never did yoga, had 8 pound babies, wasn't athletic during pregnancy I did have lots of BH with all three. I also got adjusted regularly to keep my pelvis balanced. But I have another theory: Lots of pregnancy sickness in the first trimester seems to somewhat correlate to fast labors. I think it may indicate strong hormone producers. Anyone agree?
Here's an excerpt from my blog entry about this (to save me writting it all out here again): Quote: Whenever I get wondering why Americans have developed such powerless and atrophied views about natural childbirth, I have only to look around me at the myriad media depictions of birth, and I see women being taught that birth is hopelessly painful and pointless. Here's some examples: Star Wars III: Padme is certain that the birth would be fine but...
Quote: Originally Posted by laurashanley I do believe that's going to change, however. Laura Laura, I wonder how you see that changing? I see attitudes changing on a grass roots level but I imagine it would be some time until this changes trickle down to media depictions. Maybe you know of something in the works? Or maybe you are just feeling optimistic knowing how obstetrics is currently failing that the media will catch on? Mar
Quote: Originally Posted by Verity These images and depictions form part of our cultural picture of the nature of labor and birth. At least in some cases, I think they're just as (maybe more) powerful than what we later learn because they have seeped into our subconscious. How many first-time mothers have even seen a woman in labor, other than on television and in the movies? How many have seen a woman approach labor as work, and rise to the occasion...
I started this discussion over in Media, but I seem to be attracting those who want to debate that that books and media are fictional and therefore it doesn't matter how birth is depicted. So, let me start over, here: What Movies/TV/Books depict birth and pregnancy in ways that you find wrongheaded or irritating? My example was started in my blog entry about this topic (see signature line for link) and I was ramped up about Star Wars III and Discovery's Birth...
On your partner's role: For most UCers, the point is ultimately that by eschewing having a birth attendant present they will be better able to get and stay in touch with thier innate insticts during birth. That they will then allow their body to do what it was designed to do without second guessing, panicking or letting others lead their actions and care. This philosophy also holds true when it comes to husbands. When I Uced (twice) my husband was expressly NOT my...