or Connect

Posts by milkybean

My son has been sloooooowly weaning since he was a late 4 or early 5.  I've kept an ongoing journal of it (thought it was ending far earlier than it seems it has, and didn't want to miss The Last Time), and YES the milk keeps on being made (at least in me), and YES it's heavily influenced by my cycle.   This has been a very long process (he's nearly 7) and about a year ago there were a couple months of buying cabbage leaves...I was in pain!  And a few times I've...
Wow, she's more into it than even my son!    I agree with the other poster, that you need to make sure she knows that you're OK with it.  Maybe she's worried, maybe she's not, but it's probably good to cover that ground just in case.     My son is 6 and hasn't nursed in a couple months...he's been in a very very very long process for nearly 2 years now.  He goes months and months, then asks, nurses, then goes more months.  And I still create milk, which is the...
We have an only, so far, and he's finishing up his 1st grade work this spring.  I've been at home the whole time (actually quit my job while DH and I were merely engaged, then I got pregnant immediately and just stayed home (would have fallen asleep during a job interview anyway!)).    I'm a total hermit (all the years of public schooling made that worse, not better) but DH and DS are serious extroverts.  We joined the YMCA so that DS could meet other kids.  He did...
WAVA is more like "school-at-home" vs "homeschool".  When I went to one of their ice cream socials I had to specifically ask for the paperwork the lady was clutching the whole time, and at some point she described my role to be "basically a TA".  And she KNEW that I was looking into it from a homeschooler's point of view, but still "TA" was the best she could do with the description.   It wasn't for me.  I didn't want to be part of the school district's stuff, and...
My son will be 7 soon, got his own bed a few months ago, and still generally shows up in the big bed in the middle of the night.  Sometimes he just gets up because he needs to use the bathroom (and he's happier using the master bath rather than "Papa's bathroom" down the hall, he's biased against that bathroom), and if I'm awake enough I help him get back to his bed, but other times I'm too tired to do that, and other times he just wants to be cozy.   No one is...
It does sound like a growth spurt.   That said, to me, I was indeed a pacifier!  Or rather a "pacifier" is a plastic substitute for the mother's nipple.  It's for when you cannot actually use the real nipple to "pacify" the baby's need for sucking.    I'm not saying I never started to kinda silently scream...but baby's needs trumped mine (I even learned to use the bathroom without interrupting his nursing) so I just grabbed another novel and continued...
My dad has recently starting going ON about paragoric!  It was never used with us, my mom would never have allowed it, but he's been talking about how HIS mom used to use it.  He was born in around '42, and he's the third youngest in a family of 7 kids (the oldest was about to be married when my dad was born, to give the range of ages!).  He said that if they had a long car trip, she'd dose up all the younger kids and have a peaceful drive.    That sort of thing is hard...
"I HOPE MY KIDS TURN OUT TO BE MINDFUL OF OTHERS, AND I HOPE I MODEL THAT FOR THEM."
We had DS between us.  I used one of those very simple positioners for the beginning (just a cloth and then two mesh-covered wedges of foam, that I would put at DS's HIP level, that lightly velcroed together).  DH occasionally rolled and touched one of the wedges...it was enough to wake him up.   Once DH got used to DS being there I took them away.   DS arrived in late May and it was broiling...I sweated off 25 lbs of babyweight in 2 weeks I was so hot, so for...
      Absolutely!  Memorizing is part and parcel of reading, it IS reading for that age (or a bit younger, or somewhat older).  It's OK.   Some kids just don't work with phonics.  I never did. I taught myself to read way too young (the baby-reading ads make me shudder, because there is just no point for a baby, or 2 year old like I was, to be reading...and talk about having to child proof your house once they are reading!!!!!), did sight-reading, and when we did phonics...