or Connect

Posts by milkybean

"It seems the main problem is that it's coming from your MIL. I imagine a lot of this is just part of her personality"   I have to agree.    But it's also the fact that it's clashing with your personality.  Because the things she does wouldn't be offensive *at all* to my half-Korean husband.  And if my MIL were doing it to me, it wouldn't offend *me* at all.   My husband LOVES that my mom had said at one point (when I was a teenager) that I should marry a...
DS has always liked someone to be with him as he falls asleep.  He's 6 now, and finally has his own bed in his room, and is doing really well.  One of the last 4 nights, he slept all alone (except for actually getting to sleep)!  That's pretty good, but he was also really excited (and nervous) about having his OWN bed.  :) Anyway, for getting-to-sleep purposes, I've always left a low light on and I read.  I've also used the same very simple song since he was 2, and I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fraurloth My own brother tried to explain to me that because my kids eat raw apples, and carrots, and mangos that they are going to binge on junk food later. Yes, they actually believe that teaching children healthy habits at a young age will ultimately make them unhealthy later in life. Just as kind of a FWIW from me, my mom tried as hard as she could to raise us like you're raising your kids, but she had extreme...
Quote: Originally Posted by ProudMarineWife You'd think that your CLOSE friend would just agree to disagree. You'd think, wouldn't you? An old friend of mine and I got into a convo about it while on the train to my bachelorette weekend. She nearly took my head off about it. Our relationship was never the same again (other hot button issues came up that weekend, which really opened my eyes to her odd beliefs...like she doesn't want any drugs...
"But I'm hurt that she doesn't try to talk to me about other things" People talk about what's going on in their lives at the time. When you're engaged, it's what you talk about. When you're pregnant, it's what you talk about. etc etc. So it's probably mainly just that for her. And also...it's extremely guilt-causing when you haven't had a problem while another one is having one. We had a first-try baby too, like you. I felt guilt like nothing else, because my...
My son's eyes didn't settle down until he was 5, actually. DH is Korean, Portuguese, and Welsh. His dad had black hair, his mom actually has brown hair (she's full Korean, and had been DYING it all these years, we only found out LAST year when she decided to go grey/white that she actually had brown hair), he has black hair (with a shock of white in the front that literally showed up overnight when he was 17...with black hair, white is obvious, it did not creep in, it...
Quote: Originally Posted by micah_mae_ I honestly just don't feel like fighting the dentist over it if I don't have to. But if he doesn't get flouride toothpaste I guess that helps? We have a brita filter but I know that doesn't remove much at all. Bleh. So call and ask. "Will this cause a problem, or are you OK with this?" Ds's dentist office has it in our chart. I remind them each time, of course, since the dentist my brother and I...
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial and when the daughter yelled a dramatic "Ow you pulled my arm".. .... ... mom took her cart and slammed it into her daughter. It hit the backs of her feet, knocking her forward and her head snapped backwards. The screaming was horrendous. First thing...most here have read this as meaning the girl was knocked down. Doesn't sound like that to me. Also sounds like the girl is a wee bit dramatic. ...
I was anti-gun. Then DS at 2 and a half, maybe a month or two older, chewed his piece of toast into a gun-sort-of shape (he'd been to Disneyland and rode Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters a few months before, though I actually didn't realize they'd ridden that, as they *wanted* to ride Astro Orbiter but got turned around, and that's how he got the idea for a "blaster"), and started "bew, bew bew"ing. And that's when I chilled out. The ONLY types of "guns" he has are...
Quote: Originally Posted by thyra That is AWESOME! Thanks for reminding me why I really dislike disney! Remember, most older disney movies are just retellings of old old old fairy tales. The types of tales that might have been told in the times that someone else was mentioning might be good for a girl to think about princessy things (at ren faires). At least no one's cutting off toes in the current...