or Connect

Posts by mamalemon

You already have wonderful suggestions and I am glad to see you are feeling better already. I thought I would share some things that help me with bonding, though.   1. Taking photographs of my children. Capturing their little faces is therapeutic as is looking back through the photos later. 2. Shopping for them. Decorating a space, buying them clothes, anything with them in mind that helps me to actively think of them while I shop. 3. Quiet time. Rocking,...
You have lots of great advice already, but I want to add a bit that I learned recently. Our foster baby came to us without knowing how to fall asleep while being held and he was a pro at holding his own bottle. At first, I was shocked by this and intent to break him in to being more dependent on us. My DH pointed out though that these are great coping skills for him to have since he wont always be with us and we can't guarantee what kind of home he will go to after ours....
My goodness, you sensitive boy sounds just like my DS1! I have a few suggestions: 1. Don't judge a school before you see it. Schools are all created very differently. Explore your charter options and look at online reviews and tour the ones that strike you. 2. Don't rule out private all together. If you can find a private school that is a perfect fit, talk to them about payment assistance and scholarships. We enrolled DS in the perfect school but could not afford...
While I do not believe at all that Montessori is a draw for children with special needs, I do think that it is a great fit. It is a great fit for ALL kids of varying needs and abilities because they are treated as individuals and educated as such. Our school runs an interesting integration program that brings children with special needs in to the classroom and in to guided play groups after school. This is one of my very favorite things about the school. My kids gain...
Oh yes, did I ever! What was especially interesting was that DH shared a lot of the "symptoms" with me. DH had recurring dreams about twins (yikes!) and I did a lot of preparation/nesting. You know that feeling in the last couple weeks of your pregnancy where you are sure that the baby will never come and you will be pregnant forever? I did that one too. Two days before we got the call for DS, I was in tears with my husband saying that I was sure a child would never come...
Hi there. Our son came to us the same way. His name was AB34-(the hospital where he was born). We changed his name right away. Later, during court proceedings, the judge asked us what we call him because he didn't like calling him by his un-name. I was very glad that we could give him a full name that included our last name. It may also have helped our adoption case to prove our intent of permanency. The way I see it, the baby deserves a name. Whether it will always...
We are nearing our adoption finalization date (foster-adopt of safely surrendered baby, no 7 months old) and are planning a party at the park with our friends, family, and the social workers that helped us so much. I want to do something special at the party to honor DS, but I am not sure what. I also would like to ask the guests to do/make something to commemorate the day but again... don't know what. Any ideas?
Quote: Originally Posted by lamamax3 I'd like to know how they manage to adopt at all, once they had bio kids . We have two bio children and adopted a safely surrendered newborn with no problem. We adopted through our county, not privately like it sounds like you are doing, so that probably makes a difference. Maybe these other families did the same...?
Let your adoption worker know that permanency is your #1 priority when matching. Our worker specifically asked us for our top three most important considerations for a child and our #1 was permanency because we had young children already. In our case, she told us that meant that she would probably place us with a child that had already had prt or was a child born to a woman who already had multiple children in the system or a baby hat was safely surrendered under the safe...
Hijack: Whistler, you got a placement?! Wonderful! Did you post your story somewhere?