or Connect

Posts by SunshineJ

Well, several hours later and I'm starting to think a little more clearly at this point. Basically the lady who coordinates all of the gifted options had the attitude that his MAP scores weren't there so we were wasting her time. Anything we tried to tell her he was doing was met with a look of patent disbelief and her opinion was clearly that we were another set of those delusional parents who have to have their boring little johnny in the gifted class. I haven't been...
This is where it gets better. They are resistant to letting him learn more than their "advanced" criteria, so he cannot advance a grade because he wouldn't have the skills he will gain in 3rd grade. And I haven't been able to get the curriculum on what's covered in 3rd grade so he could learn that and be ready for 4th. Another gem that came out of the meeting tonight concerned homework. We're generally not fans of the repetitive busy work they assign each week, but we've...
So we had the meeting today. Honestly I am speechless, floored and pretty disgusted. The "gifted" program that they have seems to have little to do with gifted students, but more is a program that caters to the entitled and just plain "smart" kids (many of which probably ARE gifted, no doubt!). The absolute ONLY thing they use as a placement tool is the MAP test. That's it. They do not offer IQ testing (and we can't afford it right now on our own), they do nothing with...
Thanks for the replies! When we moved to the current school district, he was starting 1st grade. Had he been here in K he'd have entered 1st grade reading at a level D. He was only classified as a level A because there was nothing lower - he had been taught letters and their sounds only (and trying to "help", I didn't teach him those things because he's so advanced in math that I wanted there to still be something for him to learn! Doesn't sound like such a great idea...
Sorry, I was trying not to write a novel and guess I left that out! He's 8 years old and in 2nd grade. We moved after kindergarten; the cutoff in the first state (school 1) is a month earlier than our new state (school 2). If we'd lived here when he started school, he would be in 3rd grade this year instead of 2nd. School 1 was very light on academics in kindy, so he did a LOT of catching up the first year at School 2 and started 2nd grade on par with his...
Hi! It's been a while since I've been here, but the simple fact is that I need help and you are the best people to ask!   In 10 days I have a meeting set up with DS's teacher and the T&G coordinator. I've been treading carefully about it not wanting to come across as pushy and demanding, and have indicated that I'd like more information on how they determine a good placement for a child and specifically, how to relate that to my child in ensuring we find the best...
Hey all. Been a rough summer with internet (and a few other things) getting shut off, so I've been MIA a while. Finally after 2 years starting a new job this week which will certainly help tremendously. Been an extremely stressful week - cracked a tooth, new job thing, DH going in for surgery this Friday, feeling pretty let down by a couple of different groups of friends but things will sort out as they always do. Anyway, didn't mean to just drop off the radar like that...
Well first the disclaimer. DH and I are complete technology geeks. We're both in the IT profession (yeah, I remember the old Apple 2E with the external drives, etc.) and actually met online while playing a forerunner of WoW. No surprise technology figures into our lives! Our kids were on the computer by age 2. Regarding game systems, we have a Wii and they have DSs (all gifts). Do I think they improve spatial awareness and reflex time? Yes, I do - but I also think that any...
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster It isn't just about the treads of the rubber soles being rubbed down. It is also the soft foam insole taking on the form of the previous occupants feet, which happens pretty fast. This. I worked shoe sales for over 5 years and this is one thing that I will do everything I can to avoid (the exception is for dress shoes that are worn maybe 4 hours a year, etc.). Really I hate to say it but putting used...
We don't do flu shots over here, but even if we regularly did them the fact that other countries are starting to ban them for children under the age of 5 because they don't consider this years version to be safe would be enough for me to refrain.