or Connect

Posts by damona

we found out last night that our youngest ds has croup. he sounds so awful... he woke at midnight last night (wednesday night) and he was wheezing and choking... it honestly sounded like he was drowning in his own mucous. i thought it was croup, but i had no idea what to do for him, and he started getting a little bluish around the mouth so i took him to the e.r. i know my insurance company is going to flip, but that's just tough. i'll deal with them later. the e.r. dr...
Quote: Originally Posted by KT'smama I don't think people who get lice are dirty or are ill bred or anything! I just don't like the idea of these little bugs crawling around on our heads and sucking our blood...it just eeks me out. also, anything i could do to keep my 9yo ds from having to go through the ordeal of "having bugs on me" again was well worth it. this is a child that flips out at the sight of a fly or mosquito, and oh,...
kt'smama, the lint roller idea is brilliant. i wish i'd thought of that at the beginning of summer when we all went through this. yes, it is necessary to bag stuff. i would also suggest taking your sheets and pillows, towels and clothes, to a laundromat to wash and dry on hot. i didn't take bagging things seriously enough and started unbagging after 2 weeks. couple days later, guess who had crawly things in her hair? yup, that would be me. it was easy enough with the...
a) How much you spend each month? we get $765 in FS for the 6 of us, and that's usually gone by the 3rd week of the month. i also get about $20/week for the farmers market, and i've learned to bargain hard! b) What sort of foods do you buy: organic/conventional (which items), pastured/conventional, raw, etc.? i buy organic strawberries and tomatoes in season, and some of the other stuff. i would love to get organic everything, but sometimes... is it worth it to...
Quote: and my kiddos love what they call "messy rice".... cook up a pot of brown rice (I use the rice cooker, dh uses the pressure cooker), add black beans (I soak bags of the dried beans, cook them in a big pot, then freeze in meal sized batches so at dinner there is no real "cooking" needed), add cooked corn (frozen or canned), add salsa and heat it up. I usually top with cheese but that is totally optional and your teen could leave off the...
i have to get my GED before i can actually go back to school, though. i was planning to do that once the kids started back to school this year, but now that DH has to have surgery, it's complicated. pumpkin_pie, DH works for the giant, famously low-priced, big-box, take-over-your-town corporation that most people dislike. he didn't sign up for the short term disability when he first got hired, so now he gets absolutely nothing except 1 week vacation pay and 10 days sick...
i save any wide-mouthed jars that we get. tostitos salsa jars are especially great. we use them for food storage, drinking glasses, etc. since they have lids, it's reduced the number of spills from the kids, and they are microwavable. i haven't tried using them in the freezer since i'm afraid the temp change might cause them to crack, though.
how sad is it that i'm thinking about going back to school, not because i want to, but because i'm so darn broke that the grants sound like a fabulous idea
Quote: Seriously, what kind of adult PUNCHES another adult in the head for asking them to not swear in front of little kids??????? wow... just... wow. that is just crazy. things around here were starting to look up... and then we found out that DH has to have surgery on both of his hands and will be out of work for at least 2 months, starting the 15th i have no idea what we're going to do. we have few bills (heat, gas, electric, water are all...
i have a couple of the plain white chef's aprons. the kind that have the neck strap and then tie around the waist. i wear those when i'm doing serious cooking or baking since i have a bad habit of wiping my hands against my thighs. i've ruined several nice skirts doing that and finally just gave up and started wearing the apron. sometimes i'll just tuck a towel into my waistband though.