or Connect

Posts by damona

i buy kefir. i figure that as long as it's got the live cultures and not too much other junk in it, it's better than a lot of other stuff i could be feeding my family. anyway, 2 of my boys can't have dairy in any form, so i buy the coconut milk or soy kefir for them sometimes, too.
tallulahma, that sounds delicious i like the idea of mincing or grating the liver into meatloaf or burgers. i think i'll give that a try. is there anything non-dairy that i could use to soak it? my younger kids have serious dairy sensitivities.
do you bake? even if you use mixes, you can add a tablespoon or 2 of ground flax seed or oat, rice, or wheat bran to just about anything. just start slow or else there may be tummy troubles! beans are great, of course. i add canned beans to a lot of things... tacos, sloppy joes, stir fry... if you buy snack stuff, the fiber one granola bars are delicious and 1 of them is about 30% of your daily fiber. homemade granola bars are yummy, too, and you can control what...
i both offer veggies at nearly every meal and as snacks throughout the day, and sneak some pureed stuff in. there are generally some sort of raw veggies available for snacking; carrots, peppers, tomatoes, celery, broccoli, mushrooms... i slice stuff up and put it in jars or baggies in the fridge so it's easy for them to grab. my youngest will actually even eat raw onions and garlic! i let them use ranch or catalina dressing to dip, or whatever they think might be...
i posted this in the main nutrition thread and only got 1 answer, so i am reposting here in hopes that someone may be able to help me out. i was given a 2 pound package of oxtails, 3 pounds of beef bones and 5 pounds of beef liver. all local, grass fed beef. so... what do i do with it all? i figured on making bone broth with the bones, and possibly oxtail stew (but i'm not entirely sure how to go about this). i'm open to other suggestions and/or recipes, since i...
it happens to everyone. my personal best disaster was a few years ago... i made cheese and bacon buns, which are fairly basic, but a lot of work to put together. i was hugely pregnant at the time, and i wanted these things so bad that my mouth was watering. i took the first pan out of the oven, had to run to the bathroom, and when i got back to the kitchen, they were all over the floor and the cat was eating them. i pulled the second pan out and they were absolutely...
i was given a 2 pound package of oxtails, 3 pounds of beef bones and 5 pounds of beef liver. all local, grass fed beef. so... what do i do with it all? i figured on making bone broth with the bones, and possibly oxtail stew (but i'm not entirely sure how to go about this). the liver, however, is defeating me. i cannot stand even the thought of eating it raw, and i'm not entirely keen on the standard liver and onions/bacon, at least, not for 5 pounds worth! anyone?
i use the bob's red mill gluten free homemade bread mix. i use a bread machine to make it. i used to make it by hand and it turns out just as good either way. make sure to let it rise twice if you do it in the machine, otherwise it will turn out flat and lumpy. i use coconut milk instead of cow's milk, or i use rice milk if it's all i have, 3 whole eggs (it calls for 1 whole egg and enough egg whites for a half cup), olive oil, and Bragg's apple cider vinegar. i also...
i just did this the other day! my mom gave me 3 grocery bags full of slightly squished or otherwise imperfect tomatoes from her garden and i don't have any canning jars at the moment. so i washed and cored them, cut an "x" on the bottom, dunked them in boiling water for a minute or so to slip the skins off, then lined them up on trays in the freezer (funny story: i ran out of room in my freezer so i took the last tray over to my SO's mom's place around the corner. she...
i usually cook white rice with broth instead of water. you could try it with coconut milk and a pinch of sugar and salt, that's tasty. i use my rice cooker a lot for "rice stews". for instance... i put 2 cups rice, 4 cups broth, a 14-16oz jar of salsa, a can of black beans, and some chopped up chicken in and just cook til it dings (sorry, i don't really use recipes and timing... *shrug*). you can do this in the crock pot, too. the 2 cups rice/4 cups broth is about...