or Connect

Posts by damona

i believe my friend got the recipe from her Ball Canning Cookbook. it was just a simple syrup of sugar and water with about a half tablespoon of cinnamon added. you have to peel the apples and slice them fairly thin, then simmer them in the syrup til they're soft but not mushy. we canned them in quart jars. i love to make pancakes or french toast and serve with the apples and their syrup on top. you can also use this as apple pie filling if you thicken it a bit, or for...
stuffed mushrooms are delicious. i make mine with the chopped up stems and maybe one whole mushroom chopped fine, crabmeat (or you can use the fake crab legs), finely minced garlic, and a bit of peccorino romano cheese (or you can use any strongly flavoured hard cheese like parmesan). stir it all up together and spread it over the mushroom caps. you can grill, bake (350F for about 20 min), or broil them. or slice them up and stir fry with onions and garlic in butter or...
we eat meat once or twice a day. i do a meatless dinner about 2x a week, usually something like pancakes or veg chili, maybe just a big salad, depending on what i have on hand and how much effort i feel like putting into the meal i've come to realize that i actually need to eat meat on a regular basis, otherwise i get shaky and anemic. beans and stuff just don't have enough of what my body needs. chicky2, can i just say, you are living my dream life.
i would jump on that deal in one hot second. i've made crockpot applesauce with the skins on. i usually quarter the apples and core them, then put them in the crockpot with a bit of water and some lemon juice. after it's all cooked down, i put it through my food mill. you could just press it through a sieve, too. my friend and i canned a bunch of applesauce last year, but i don't think we'll bother this year. it's just as easy to make a batch at a time when it's...
my 2 younger boys have been gfcf for about 5 years now. when we started, i had no idea what i was doing. i panicked and bought anything that said it was gluten and dairy free because i hadn't a clue. 5 years of practical experience and research later... we do a lot of potatoes and rice, once in awhile i buy the tinkyada brown rice pasta. i make a big tray of baked potatoes once a week (about a dozen) and then we can do all kinds of things with those for the rest of the...
gah. yes. i get so bored i could scream. especially in the summer. it's too hot and miserable to enjoy time outside for long (especially since i burn even with spf 9000), my dh works 3rd shift so he sleeps all day and is gone all night, my oldest is off and gone with his pals most of the time, and the rest of them spend most of their time whining about what the others are doing. or aren't doing. or whatever. i try to get out and go for a walk in the evenings at some...
i was actually just about to post here to ask this very same question! my mom has a big garden and i just got a dozen or so squash (squashes?) from her the other day. the only things i really know to do with yellow squash (my mom calls it summer squash, is it the same thing?) is to either stir fry it, which is what i did tonight, or to add it to soups. i was wondering, can i use it like zucchini? to make bread and such? i was thinking of grating one of the smaller...
i probably spend about 4 or 5 hours a day in the kitchen, cooking, baking, and cleaning. 2 of my boys are on a dairy and gluten free diet, so i do a lot of stuff from scratch, including making bread. i did finally get a bread machine, though, so that helps! almost every night i make some kind of cookies of muffins or something for the next day. oddly enough, i'm typing this in between running to the kitchen to flip the brats and stir the beans for dinner
Quote: Originally Posted by Maiasaura That! I hate that! And it's all like "WHY are you being so mean?" Um...if you'd listened to me the FIRST time, I wouldn't be nagging you with such urgency and frustration in my voice. Hello? You're not a victim. Argh. !!!!! my almost 12yo ds does this all the time. i swear, i never knew that boys were such huge drama queens (kings?), i always thought it was just girls! i ask him to do something...
just about 2 hours ago i said to my SO "i swear, this child never stops to draw breath. he just goes on and on and on and..." my 5yo is my one who just never stops. and he does the same thing "mom, mom, mom, mom, did you hear me? mom mom mom i said... mom can i... mom mom i asked you..." and i can only listen to him just so much, especially since there are 3 other little boys and 2 adult ones i have to listen to, too! i feel ya, mama. you're not alone. i'm looking...