or Connect

Posts by damona

my ds will be 9 on saturday he can do all these things except the real fine motor stuff... clipping his own nails, tying shoes and putting on a watch. he's been making his own sandwiches for at least 2 or 3 years. (heck, my 5yo makes his own pb&j's! mostly cuz he's too impatient to wait for me to get to it ) my 9yo has aspergers, tho, so i'm pretty pleased that he can do all this stuff. he'll get the rest of it in time, i'm sure.
i said "other" b/c we don't schedule it, and it doeesn't always happen when someone wants it, but it does happen. probably more for him than for me, since he is friends with all his co-workers and they go out for breakfast a couple times a week after work (3rd shift). they also go out in the afternoons some times, plus he drives to the city once a month with a friend and they pay rent (we do everything in cash) and usually go somewhere, while i stay with the kids. most...
oh, how i wish... i hate cleaning. i truly do. i can keep up with it, for awhile, once i've got the place spotless, but since that rarely happens, my house is usually in some stage of disaster. i have 4 sons, several of whom have special needs, and i swear, they simply follow behind me making messes as fast as i pick them up. i know darn well i picked up and swept the living room before i went to bed at 4am (insomnia. ugh.), and when i came down at 9am, it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by sebandg'smama Call child protective services. You are clearly doing all you can to give her a place to spend time away from that abuse, so that is wonderful. To me this is a situation that requires extra outside professional help. i'm not one to jump on people for losing their temper now and then, but it sounds like this guy is way out of control. if the older girl is going away to college, and the younger...
i leave my kids alone sometimes after they are all asleep. they know i'm going out (and it's only to one of the neighbours within our complex) and i take my cell phone. i don't leave them alone to go anywhere off the property, unless it's a quick run to the store for something. we live in a pretty small town, so i don't worry much. as flaky as my 11yo can be, he is very responsible about his brothers, and i think it's good for kids to learn to be self-sufficient. i...
i would suggest that you leave bread and cheese and other "typically" gluten and casein items off the list for awhile. the substitutes are fairly strange if you go straight to them from the regular stuff. tinkyada brown rice pasta is the best sub for wheat pasta that i have found. i think it's better than the "real thing". other than that, i would suggest doing a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. corn tortilla chips and salsa or bean dip for snacks. i don't know if...
my dh works third shift, so he is either gone or sleeping while i'm dealing with kids and stuff. his jobs in the house are to take out the garbage and recycle stuff, change the catbox, and do the dishes. even those i have to beg him to do, most of the time. at this very moment there is not a single piece of silverware in the drawer, cuz it's all in the sink. but i will be darned if i'm going to wash it! he does, during the school year, get everyone up when he gets...
's, mama. you are not alone. this parenting thing is hard. i was pretty starry-eyed about having my first ds, and it was a helluva shock when i couldn't nurse b/c of a horrible infection and then he got colicky on formula and i don't think i slept for months. and we lived with my mother, which was it's own set of issues. i will tell you this, tho... it will get better. don't worry about the vax's you've given him already. my oldest is fully vax'd (except for chicken...
ok, i can give you both a yes and a no on this one. to explain: my 7 and 8yo ds' are both on the spectrum. both dx'd PDD-NOS. both also dx'd ADHD. we'll be taking my 8yo in for a new evaluation soon, and i am pretty sure that he will be dx'd aspergers this time. when the boys were first dx'd, my older one was just about 4. the younger, just over 2. we did therapy in home, in group, dr's, all kinds of stuff that you try when you first start to handle something like...
yummy yum... you guys are giving me some great ideas keep 'em coming! got a long, hot summer with no a/c to look "forward" to lol