or Connect

Posts by Fianna

Many hugs... Like others have asked, how old are the kids? How far away are they from you now?
I'm so happy for you and your DD! My dh took my younger DD (his DSD) out for a day of shopping, dining and to get a manicure the week of her birthday in May, and it was SO good for both of them. She actually wrote about it in her school journal the next week. Those one-on-one experiences with stepparents really can make such a huge difference!
As the biomom of a 50/50 situation and a stepmom of a 50/50 situation I strongly disagree that switching homes during the week is "awful" and "horrible". It works well for us. With four kids all with various schedules it works much better than if we did week on/week off. We know on our nights with the kids we take them to piano practice and gymnastics. We have other family traditions and routines that fall on our nights. We know that the "sign and return" weekly packet of...
I think 1, 2 & 3 on your list are all involved. How could you not be annoyed at your dh when you see the "result" of his parenting and know you don't want your own child to turn out that way? IMO, you need to have some serious conversations with your dh, and possibly in a counseling situation. You need to agree on what is important as a parent. You need to have some common goals and respect each other's values. Is your dh aware of just how much your dsd's behavior and...
It is overwhelming to suddenly be a parent to someone else's children. Fortunately for your dh, you seem to be uber-sensitive and willing to make whatever adjustments are necessary to help him with the transition (does he know just how lucky he is? ;-). I will say, as someone who is both a bio-parent and a step-parent, that initially when I kept my dh's kids, I was totally unprepared for just how much energy it would take. His kids are the same ages as mine, so I thought...
Very cute! My dh has already told our three girls (one his, two mine) that he will meet all of their future boyfriends at the door when they come to pick up the girls and his greeting to them will include the phrase, "I have a gun and a shovel and no one will miss you..."
Wow. And I thought my dh's ex was horrifically manipulative and selfish. It's all a matter of perspective! First of all, kudos for putting your dss first and not venting about his mom. I'm sure it must be tough sometimes...more than tough. Does she have anyone else in her life? Anyone else she can focus on? It sounds like her entire identity is caught up in being "mom", which isn't healthy. I wonder if getting your dss into counseling wouldn't be a bad idea. Having an...
I thought about this thread yesterday evening when dh's ex knocked on the front door. She was stopping by to drop off her kids' book bags. Her dd met her at the door to get the bags and I went to the front door to do the civil greeting thing and quickly discuss any coordination we needed to do in regards to my dss's out-of-town field trip this week. After that 30-second conversation she actually asked if she could spend a few minutes with her dog (the dog has been with us...
Reviving this thread for an update! :-) How's the house closing stuff going? Ready to move?
Mediation would be the first step, I imagine. If mediation fell through, court would be next.