or Connect

Posts by sunny*pa*mom

We had ToT on Thursday night and I gratefully accepted hot chocolate from a neighbor. My kids just took the candy and ran ahead. I think it is a generous and friendly idea.
I also like Watermelon pops. Cut the watermelon into 1" thick pieces and use cookie cutters to make festive shapes. Add a stick and freeze. Voila. My kids love frozen fruit.
Quote: Originally Posted by rachelsmama I was vegetarian for about 12 years, but my body started letting me know that what I was doing wasn't working, at least while I was breastfeeding, and that if I wanted to continue breastfeeding I was going to have to make drastic changes. The first meat I ate was a can of skinless, boneless salmon and I swear I could feel my body sucking the Omega-3 fatty acids out of it. I have no advice about what you should...
I use microfiber sponges. I don't know how eco-friendly they are on the production side, but they can be washed in the dishwasher or washing machine and mine have lasted years.
We just signed the contract for a 14 acre place so we're doing the same thing. I've been reading: You Can Farm - Joel Salatin (he also has a book called Pastured Poultry Profits) Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens Basic Country Skills The Encyclopedia of Country Living Countryside Mother Earth News Acres Stockman Grass Farmer We've also been talking to the ag extension folks and local farmers. We've found some good information in local publications specific...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rosehip I love mutts! My only hesitation with getting a dog straight from the shelter is that it's harder to get a really good read on its personality. I feel that if a dog has been fostered, especially through a reputable rescue, I'd have a better shot on getting a good picture on how the dog is when living in a home environment it has settled into. So I've been thinking of specific breeds because most of the rescues are...
Doesn't seem weird to me. Now, if she said she was looking for a short, chubby, chronically ill, unemployed fellow, that would be weird!
Quote: Originally Posted by 1jooj Did anyone recommend Depletion and Abundance by Sharon Astyk? A wise and brilliant MDC mama lent it to me and I am about halfway through it. It is an engaging read that manages to speak in terms of moral values without condemning individuals. It's interspersed with steps everyone, regardless of where they life, should do now to prepare for the future that is coming. Solutions don't just include planting a garden and...
What about volunteering? Find an organization you care about that you can volunteer at night or on the weekends? It would give you an opportunity to talk about things other than the kids and it's free.
I'm kinda with Chamomile Girl on this one. My dp makes everyone a hot breakfast, takes the kids to school, does bath and bedtime. We split most other things - yardwork, cooking, baking bread, market. The bills auto-pay. I do most of the housework and laundry (he does his own) but after dinner he takes the kids out to play. I have a seasonal business so he knows how hard it is to take care of active boys for 10 hours a day with no break. We both pitch in so that we have...