or Connect

Posts by IlluminatedAttic

Thanks to all for the replies, I will certainly feel more empowered in the future. I understand what you are saying about coping mechanisms, AliveMama, and they are certainly skills I plan to teach ds in the future. However right now I am more concerned with his comfort in attempting to socialize. He is the shy observer type of kid and though socially adept will choose to watch for hours before joining. So my first instinct in this situation was to try to facilitate a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Xoe next time, arm yourself with these words: Where...is...your....mother. Thanks for your input, this seems so simple and logical in retrospect! I think I really was feeling more split and flustered worrying about my nephew than I had expected, not knowing him very well yet (we've only recently lived close enough to begin frequent visits) and not sure how he was going to react to ds being so upset. I didn't want to...
Does he clean up the messes? Not in a punitive way, just "Oh, I see you missed the potty. Here's a wet cloth and here's the mop. Be sure to put the cloth in the bucket when you're done. If you need help putting new pants on let me know." Also, if you think he is making a deliberate choice and that these are not accidents then I personally wouldn't have a problem having a matter-of-fact conversation and rule about where he is allowed to be/sit in the house, restricting his...
FWIW, I've known four older teenagers, children of family and friends all over 16, who worked at CEC in the past three years. All in different cities across the US. All quit within a month because they could not stomach the conditions in the kitchen and the lack of cleanliness of the staff and food prep areas. Two reported drug use by employees on the premises. All said things like pizza pans were reused without being washed during peak hours. All have told us to never...
We had our first real issues with bullies this past week and I just need to vent. The worst situation occurred when I took my son and nephew to a child play/science center where they had a great time, but it was marred by another boy's behavior. DS was very into playing in a building area where you can fill a net with foam blocks and hoist it the upper level with a pulley system. He had happily shared the space with other kids as they came and went, sometimes...
I would also encourage you to find another school with better menu options as it may save you and your ds a lot of stress. At the very least I would try to find out if there are any students currently attending the school that require special diets and talk to the parents to ascertain their experience so far. From my standpoint as a former teacher of many years it is difficult to keep kids from sharing food, perhaps not at 13 months if they are still in highchair type...
I miss them too! I'd like to see the thread restarted!
These are my thoughts from a BTDT perspective. Does he have any goals for the future? A career he wants to pursue? First thing I would do is help him with this. Find a place to get him career counseling if necessary. Once a goal is established help him plan a pathway to achieving it. Perhaps it will be college or vocational training. Perhaps it is an apprenticeship. Whatever the path needs to be help him figure this out. Set a time frame for all of the above research to...
My naturopath gave me these http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=11506 The bottle says, "This product contains no preservatives, binders, articfical colorings or flavorings, sucrose, glucose, starch, lactose, salt, corn, wheat, gluten or milk derivatives." It does say, "Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose and water. Contains soy from Vit. E." There is no mention of rice so you would have to contact the manufacturer I guess. These have seemed fine for me...
Hi Chantald, I can't answer your question myself, but my sister homeschools in NY and gets lots of good advice and information from this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYHEN-Support/ which is sponsored by the New York Home Educators' Network (www.nyhen.org). There are lots of experienced homeschoolers on the list and questions such as this usually receive several good answers very quickly. They also have examples of required paperwork in their files...