or Connect

Posts by ShwarmaQueen

I've got a picky eater too. What about eggs? I fry a couple yolks in *coconut* oil and DS will usually eat most of it.   Also, have you tried cheesy mashed potatoes? I make them w/ butter and whole milk, then grate in about an ounce of cheese to his portion. If he hasn't had much protein I sneak things into his mashed potatoes- hamburger meat, broccoli, etc.   What about beans? DS likes mashed pinto beans on a tortilla w/ cheese. I usually stir in a spoon of...
DS had a super fast weight gain as well, but we figured out it was because he was nursing soo often, and would only get the letdown, then get exhausted and never past that...so he never got full, and never took a break. I mistaked his disorganized swallowing for oversupply and actually tried pumping off the foremilk, etc...it was chaos. Eventually though, it caught up though and my supply crashed (between 6-10wks he only gained an ounce). You really are lucky in that you...
Occupational Physical Therapy. The one I went to had extensive knowledge re breastfeeding and the necessary motor skills- we found her through a hospital based LC.
Hmm, i don't know if this is any value or not, but my close friend doesn't do any vax (and doesn't BF past a few weeks because her milk 'dries up') and her DD, 5, caught rotavirus a few years ago and was almost hospitalized for dehydration. She says the toll that it took on her daughter felt like torture (the vomitting and diahhea lasted over a week) and the nights of worry it caused her and her DH were not worth it. She says she wishes she just would have gotten the...
I took DS to a speech pathologist, who does OPT, and she evaluated him for his extensive oral motor weaknesses and gave me specific exercises to do based on his areas of need. It was reassuring to know that there was a reason he was still clicking and gagging with the 'correct' latch, because he didn't have the strength to hold the position! Thanks goodness you have your older son to keep your supply up or else you might end up pumping/taking supplements/jumping through...
Has he been checked out for tt (including posterior), palate issues, or oral motor weaknesses? All of them can make babies latch awkwardly...
I think it's just a matter of time. I'd cut back letting him "comfort suck" just a little at a time- like after you know he's asleep, let him suck 5 min extra for a few nights, then 4 for a few nights, then 3, and so on until you can pull away. I don't remember what age DS let me flip to my back, but there are always night when he wanted it (sick, teething, growth spurt, etc) even though we'd made progress. You just have to keep trying little by little, and find what...
Oh I so know how you feel. I really do. :( Have you tried pumping and bottlefeeding yet? I ask only because DS wouldn't even take any bottle, he gagged and became hysterical each time, even early on (5 wks)- before he would have a preference, due to his extreme oral motor weakness.
A double bed seems too small for me, a babe, and DH to all sleep comfortably (and safely) in. I'd move to another bed, futon, or the like, or if your DH prefers, then him. It's best to dress yourself and your DC warm and use less to cover with to minimize suffocation hazzard. It's not unusual to sleep separately, I know many breastfeeding/co-sleeping moms who've done it. 
He usually naps on the full-sized matress which sits directly on the floor, at the foot of our King-sized bed. He knows how to get down safely, feet first, but falling from the king, is more than double the height of the full mattress.