or Connect

Posts by vancouverlori

Hmm... the body hair thing... Emily is 17 now (!!!) and has been shaving for so long that I don't really recall how it happened.  I shave, so I can't fault her at all.  I think what I might have done was to say that women usually shave their armpit and leg hair if it's going to show (which is why I don't usually shave much in the winter, etc.), but that some women don't.  When women don't, they are doing something different, and just need to be comfortable with that...
bumping up an old but timely thread, as I'm apparently having a math meltdown... ;)
Now this sounds like you're hitting the nail on the head... there's a reason why Deaf people have their own culture!  (Not that I'm saying we should segregate anyone, but language goes hand-in-hand with society/culture and feelings of belonging.)  Hearing impairment (or auditory processing disorders) could *definitely* interfere with the way a person views the world.   Some kids just are pessimistic, and some of that comes from popular culture - my daughter really enjoys...
Yeah, the new format doesn't seem to be as friendly as the original one, mostly in the way it notifies me of posts.  I deleted a huge bunch of those notifications before I realized what they were because they appeared to be just another ad from Mothering.   Mostly I'm getting my online social time via Facebook and also via the HS-Van list, though of course that only includes the homelearners among us.    What is sad is that MDC "Finding Your Tribe" threads could...
Anyone have an electric breast pump they're not using?   My singing group is going to International competition in the 3rd week of October, and one of our members (a good friend of mine) is still nursing her toddler.  She's normally a SAH mom, so she doesn't own an efficient pump.  Last time we went away for a weekend event and she was painfully engorged - despite using her manual Avent Isis pump - after only 2 days.  This time we'll be gone for a week, and all our...
Hi, I'm part of a large singing group coming to Houston in the 3rd week of October for the Sweet Adelines singing competition.  One of our members (a dear friend of mine) is still nursing her toddler, and since she's normally a stay-at-home mom to her 4 kids, she doesn't own an electric breast pump.  The last time we went away for a weekend event, she used her Avent Isis manual pump, but after 2 days, she found she was already painfully engorged.  When I was in the...
It still sounds like Evan's impulsivity is his worst enemy.  And yours. :o At this point, I don't think there are any consequences that would be likely to prevent him from doing whatever flies into his head because he doesn't stop to think at all.  There must be strategies for working on that, but I haven't come across anything yet myself.   I know you haven't mentioned meltdowns, but they must occur?  If so, there might be some useful strategies in No More Meltdowns...
:( I feel for you.  Not as helpful as you'd have liked.  I know you knew you needed to do something different, but you went in hoping for guidance on what to do, right?  Have you read Gabor Mate's "Scattered Minds" yet?  I know I mentioned it to you, and I can lend you my copy (though you may want one for your own reference).  I found it very easy to read, and very very eye-opening.  I'm sure I mentioned that it put me a little out of sorts to really confront my own ADD...
Gee, and here I thought there was nothing going on here these days.  Did y'all end up doing a beach meetup?  I'm afraid I'm all tied up with working a short trip away until after the long weekend, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case something happens...   Lisa - how did Evan's appointment go?
We did finally get it sorted out.   We had the gas company come out and upgrade our supply piping to the meter, and the meter itself, then the installers came and completed the job all the way into the house and to the heater.  They realized that our supply lines were not up to current standards (they'd be 25 years old) and we didn't have quite enough gas pressure coming into our unit because they hadn't accounted for the distance of the pipe from the meter to our...