or Connect

Posts by oiseau

Thanks! You guys have brought up some good points. We did already have the discussion  about living downtown for just a couple years, then moving back out to the suburbs. We're both from pretty rural areas, so it's a big change! I'm just having a tough time convincing myself that the crime thing isn't too scary. I feel like I'm pretty street-smart though and most of what I have read/heard from other people suggests that crime is pretty localized, so if you're in a good...
It would depend on exactly where we moved, but probably 30-45min.
My fiance and I need to move out of our apartment in the next month or so. We currently live in a suburb of a big Eastern city . My fiance started a new job today in a nearby big cityand with luck, I may have a job offer for a new job as well. Both jobs are located in the heart of the city and we're trying to decide where to move...either into the city, or in sticking with the suburbs. I'm looking for some opinions/input...help us decide!! Here are the pros and cons of...
Hey Calpurnia-I never had a chance to respond to your questions, so I thought I'd answer them to the best of my ability since I have time today! 1. I am of the feeling that you need to follow your gut when it comes to parenting. I think there are a lot of different philosophies out there with good and bad things about them and you just have to pick and choose what is the best fit for your particular family. So for example, even though AP is big on co-sleeping, if you...
Regarding cultures with young marriage/child-bearing trends, I wonder how much of that could be related to a shorter life span in general. Like, if you're only going to live to the age of 40 or 50, would that help drive a trend to get married and have kids at an earlier age. (Or, could having kids at a younger age cause shorter life spans??)   Cyllya- On my mom's side of the family, my brother and I are the only grandkids who haven't had kids of our own yet. My...
I have a smoothie for breakfast or lunch sometimes. It's easy for me to mix up and drink in the car on the drive to work (sometimes I don't go in until 1-ish, so those are the days I would have a smoothie lunch). My general smoothie recipe is a few ice cubes, some frozen mango, frozen blueberries, a whole banana, a splash of peach juice, greek yogurt and a few leaves of kale (with the stem removed). I feel like I'm getting a good mix of fruits and veggies, plus some...
Hey Kayla-I used to chart and I still rely somewhat on fertility signs + condoms. I think it's a great way to go because it doesn't involve anything artificial entering my body (hormone or an IUD). I tried the pill for awhile several years ago and it ended up being a bad idea for me (made my depression worse) so I've stayed away from hormonal birth control since then. I got a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility a few years ago and I think it should be required reading...
Not sure if your pun was intended or not, but I LOL'ed at this!   I'm really enjoying this thread. It's really interesting to see what everyone considers too "out there!"
Congrats!!! YAY!!!
I'm a big fan of Salem, so that's my vote. They have a really awesome art museum (Peabody if I remember correctly) that had a lot of kid friendly stuff when I was there. There are also tons of Salem witch trial related museums. If it's not too cold or icky out, we also liked to just walk around town. I've never been to Drumlin Farms myself, but I have several friends who have worked there and I've heard great things about it.