or Connect

Posts by deminc

- double post -
  Hi, I have a 2e kid, with one of the e for SPD (sensory processing) and vision processing. Your descriptions immediately reminded me of the worst times I had with him. The psychologist's evaluation was extreme anxiety - this was before we uncovered the SPD and vision issues, and he was midway through school. I think all the PPs have raised good points, esp with regards to sleep (or the lack of), but in addition, I think anxiety is something to look into. You need to...
  Hi, I have a 2e kid, with one of the e for SPD (sensory processing) and vision processing. Your descriptions immediately reminded me of the worst times I had with him. The psychologist's evaluation was extreme anxiety - this was before we uncovered the SPD and vision issues, and he was midway through school. I think all the PPs have raised good points, esp with regards to sleep (or the lack of), but in addition, I think anxiety is something to look into. You need to...
Well, everyone's body is so different and I really believe there is no one healthy diet fits all. I know fruits are supposed to be such good things, but I can only share that ds2 and I cannot take too much fruits.   On the specifics of why, these are what I have gathered while researching my occasional hives and ds2's eczema: - a diet heavy in fruits are not helpful to those who are sensitive to salicylates. It can produce symptons like hives etc. The fruits you...
   It may be helpful to talk to the extended family. I thought the same - how could I/ds2 be so unlucky!? I just didn't understand it. Then I had to attend a funeral and the topic came up. WOW! I was amazed at the various allergies/sensitivities that existed through three generations of my extended family - dustmites, seafood, dairy, food colorings, even peanut and kiwi (which I have a sensitivity to as well).  It was an ah-ha moment for me. An elderly aunt who raised 7...
ds1 loves school because of his friends. He has no idea what the teachers are teaching or what instructions have been given because he spaces out, and he has become increasingly scatter-brained since he started school. I think spacing out has become a way of life. It's very frustrating. But he IS very social, he loves to people watch, he knows what everyone else is doing and who is allergic to what. He just doesn't know what the teachers are teaching for that day. I...
You can try gluten-free oats, but since she's only 6 months old, you can just avoid it for now and reintroduce it again later, either at 9 months or 1 yr, and see if there is the same reaction. My ds1 was allergic to dairy, reacting with a clear full body rash at 9 months (had avoided it previously because of colic) and you can always tell if he had sneaked a small piece of chocolate or a teaspoon of ice cream because he would get a rash on his face. He outgrew the...
I've seen various reports of the bleach bath study. You can read one here. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/news/20090427/bleach-baths-may-help-kids-with-ezcema   It is aimed at managing chronic eczema where bacterial infections is often a factor. Antibiotic cannot be used as a long-term treatment for these because the bacteria may become resistant to the antibiotic, making it even harder to target. I think that's what happened to Anechka when...
By the way, I did try coconut oil and many other natural products e.g. tea tree, oregon oil, and natural moisturisers. They made things worse. It's best to stick to the antiseptic wash and a very strict cleansing routine (and moisturising routine if applicable to your child's skin.) His rashy areas were on both his ankles (very very bad, lots of weeping sores) knees, buttocks, and a little on the elbow. Now one foot has been 100% in the clear for almost a year, and the...
Hi 3T, Our experience has been similar to Karamon's - infections and a severe allergy to dustmites prevented the sores from healing and was the main trigger for his eczema. We live in a warm humid climate, and my son had bacterial and fungal infections that I was totally clueless about and the various family doctors I took him to gave me a generic cream that they say is antibacterial, antifungal plus mild steriod - ie a catch them all cream, that did absolutely nothing to...