or Connect

Posts by deminc

Aishamama,i just saw this thread while thinking about dyspraxia. Ds1 is slow for writing too. Painfully slow. We had an evaluation done when he was younger for dyslexia and the observation was that the more he had to write/ copy, the slower he becomes. This is not the same for other children. I have sat for 4 hours with him to complete his Maths homework, all of which I know is well within his abilities. I was told that other kids took half an hour to an hour to complete...
Aishamama, I don't mean to be intrusive and i apologise beforehand if i am. I see that you have three boys and a fourth on the way. This is a lot to handle physically and emotionally. If you don't already have some help, please do try to get someone to lighten your load. I completely understand needing spousal support especially at a time like this. It gets overwhelming. If you can outsource or simplify certain aspects of daily life, it will help. Getting a professional...
Aishamama, Yes I get that your husband openly undermines you when you are raising your concerns to a professional/ outsider. That is a hard thing to swallow. I've had some challenges in my marriage and what has worked best for me is to decide that sometimes it's not that personal. My husband is a researcher. It is in his nature to pick holes and find counter arguments. We have both learn that chocolate helps soothe my feelings and potato chips help him crunch through...
I think motor skills are really important for boys socially. It's how they develop their pecking order at the playground, plus it's a lot easier to find friends who will play catch with you than to find friends who want to discuss when time starts. Ds1 too had motor planning issues and a combination of gym and OT was really helpful and gave me insights into how it was affecting his daily life without my realization. It improved his core strength and help improve his motor...
Quote:    I do have discipline problems at home and I sometimes feel I need to see a parenting coach. DS1 is lovely on his own, but together with DS2, they are quite a handful and things can escalate quickly. I do not think he is wired diffently, but he is very intense and together with a very intense and angry DH, the two of them are scary together. My ds1 is also prone to self-harm, and there have been a couple of episodes when he ran out of the apartment and we end up...
On the positive ige testing, I understand it depends on the readings - the actual measurement. If the wheals are very small, it is considered sensitization, meaning there are some Ige circulation, but nothing near a dangerous reaction and the child can try out the food without fear. The emphasis was that it is not dangerous, we can start adding the food back if it doesn't aggravate his eczema or gives him stomachaches. But it is tricky. We are trying to add eggs back now...
Isn't some eczema, tummy woes, spitting up and a generally fussy screaming baby related to Ige type allergy? I have an acquaintance whose child was tested and diagnosed within the first month with multiple allergies because the baby was screaming and refusing to feed. ( i realise now how unusually proactive the nurses and her doctors had been ). the child is now seven and has regular reviews. The allergist we just spoke to also said that she would test an unusually fussy...
Oh besides changing doctor, a good cookbook or a stack of safe recipes really help!
Yes, removing all offending food from my baby's diet and my own diet while I was still breastfeeding reversed all his eczema and stopped the diarrhea. We have environmental allergy here as well and it was possible to improve this situation by making changes to our house and the way we clean it. I think that was lousy advice, though pretty common advice. what most doctors fear is that the parents will restrict food without looking for alternatives, resulting in...
we just did a skin test, and I was told it has 95% accuracy. It does not pinpoint intolerance, only the Ige response, which is an immune system response. It is supposed to be more accurate than the blood test, but I have also been told by various pds that these tests are sometimes not very accurate when the kids are very young. Because of this, I was told not to test my younger child when he was 1. When they did finally test him, he was almost three. His latest test...