or Connect

Posts by deminc

Totally OT - sweetsilver, I love your little avatar at the bottom! It's the story of my life, especially when the avatar collapse over the tub, lol.
Quote: Yikes! That's a whole lot of ingredients in there, including that red dye flightgoddess mentioned. It's better to pick simple treats that have a very short ingredient list on the labels. If there are no labels, skip it. To be honest it took us a while before we got to the point where 30min of joy is not worth the sleepless nights and crying and everyone just skirt the ice-cream store for a few months (great sacrifice on part of dh and ds1, after a while they...
Well I think you have pinpointed ice-cream - did you check what's in the ice-cream? For me, if you've done dairy before, soy before, and know the reactions, it would scream either nuts or eggs. One of my kids was very allergic to dairy and get a head to toe polka dot rash within minutes of touching anything with dairy. He has totally outgrown it by three. The other kid reacted to eggs. He would get the runs through the day.   Another thing that crossed my mind -...
I remember when I first came to this board at my wit's ends, one of the many pearls of wisdom I received was that 3-4 seem to be a very difficult age for many of our kids and it gets better with age. There may be issues to tease out and adjustments or OT to be done etc, but with support, they can and will do great as they grow older and we understand better how they work and what they need.   That said, I really don't think many three year olds (or older kids for...
This is interesting. Another mum and I were just talking about how different individual seem to react very differently to various climates. There were cases where a child's eczema would clear up whenever he is in a dry cool climate, and conversely, individuals whose eczema would clear up once they move to a humid climate. Generally for the former, heat is a trigger while for the latter, dry skin is a big factor. We are in a humid climate but my ds has atopic skin prone...
Quote: FAmom, your child's situation sounds similar to mine, except mine is allergic to food and dustmites instead of pollen. do you think it may be that the vaseline acts as a barrier against the pollen? For us Avene antibacterial repair cream has been very helpful, and it's a thick paste. My ds2 is highly allergic to dustmite and any broken skin will develop welts once it's exposed to dustmites. I was thinking that one reason why the repair cream works so well may...
Gosh, I'm not sure how to best answer this. Basically a swollen WEEPY area is an infected wound that you should treat immediately. If it's simply swollen, it can be an allergic reaction or it can be a low grade infection, or both.   I made many many mistakes with my kid; in my kid's case it was everything - food, environmental, and infections and it just kept flaring up, getting progressively worse each time because all we did was put moisturisers, trying natural...
I find that many doctors describe a huge variety of skin condition under the label eczema and give blanket advice that may not be suitable for the individual.  There's a big difference between dry atopic skin, a persistent allergic reaction, a persistent secondary fungal/bacterial infection and  an acute flareup with weepy swollen areas. You can put many things on the skin when it's just dry and scaly, as long as your child is not allergic or sensitive to it. But if...
Well, the link I posted on fluid in the ear did say that in some cases, allergens could be a factor. I think it really depends on the individual child. For some kids it's a one-off and resolved with antibiotics, for recurring cases, you'll probably have to look deeper and perhaps make some lifestyle changes.   A brief thought on dustmite allergy which had made our lives miserable - PP is right, 8 months is too young for reliable testing. Dustmites can cause enlarged...
Thank you!! I AM overjoyed!