or Connect

Posts by aurora_skys

We have a no football rule as well. It doesn't matter if the kids are given better helmets and padding, they actually hit each other harder when they have better helmets and may receive even worse injuries. The other contact sports are safer, even though they don't wear as much padding. Boys aren't stupid, they dont crash head first into each other in those meager rugby helmets. They play a safer game.
Hi there :) I suffered for ten years at the hands of a pediatric podiatrist and felt compelled to offer my perspective.   Your son is only five? How many hours a day does he spend in shoes?   Your podiatrist said "Her explanation is that because of the flat feet he doesn't have the muscle support and is compensating for balance by curling his toes under" But it is important for you to know that orthotics will do absolutely nothing to build muscles strength in...
Chiming in :D I do not use hormonal birth control due to the serious concerns it raises with me regarding health (every time I see a class action lawsuit against yet another Pill, I feel validated in this) and environment (the synthetic estrogens in the water system turning the male amphibians and fishes into females). We use the withdrawal method because I'm much to lazy to chart and temp, although I know many other couples for whom this works well. Breastfeeding keeps...
Canker sores are not caused by a disease, they are a result or irritants in the mouth, stress, and many other factors. Cold sores are a manifestation of a permanent virus (herpes).   Yams are what is sold North of the Mason Dixon line, sweet potatoes are what you find to the South.   What's the difference between a ho cake and a pan cake?
Let me tell you how I wish my mom had handled these things. I am a very private person, I didn't want her knowing when or why I was shaving my legs. My mom was always violating my privacy and assuming things about me that weren't true (like if I was shaving it was because I felt bad about having hair or was getting with boys. Both false). This drove me to such a level of secrecy that she didn't even know I had gotten my period until two years after the fact.... Some kids...
Got one,    A couple months ago the repairman for my apartment complex was trying to fix my dishwasher. My 3 year old son's nails were painted some color, I don't remember. The repair guy got onto me about how I shouldn't paint his nails because it would make him gay. After a while of him going on and on about how nail polish is just for girls, I got irritated and started defending the nail painting (after all, my son was standing right there witnessing this...
Thank you everyone for the replies. I was a little uncertain about posting this thread because nothing attracts flame wars and trolls faster than religion :P But so far so good! I like all the varied feedback this thread has gotten.   Some of you seem to really understand what I mean about not being able to sit my mil down and talk with her about this like adults would. She does not process the world like most rational adults do and it would explode in my face for...
Hi :) I rent and I move every year, so I've had a lot of weeeiiirrd neighbors in my time. This sounds disruptive but not dangerous so that's a huge plus, trust me.   I'm from Georgia so I take a southern tact. Imo, the best thing for you to do is go over to his house with a plate of cookies or a pound cake and introduce yourself. Tell him you've noticed it looks like he's into martial arts or something and ask him about it. Be positive in your conversation. Let him...
My family is lucky enough to live near an amazing Hindu temple in Lilburn Georgia. We visited there last year for one of his college courses and attended one of their worship ceremonies (we aren't Hindu so it was cool to see what they do). They have a beautiful celebration for Diwali with light shows, fireworks, music, etc and we have time to go this year.   So I'm wondering, what's the proper sort of etiquette for going to a Diwali celebration at a temple? I already...
Hey everyone, My husband and I were raised with different religions. I grew up in a somewhat liberal Southern Baptist home and he grew up in a Mormon home. Neither one of us practice our parent's religions. We hold many Christian beliefs but do not believe the Bible to be completely literal or accurate.   When my mom starts in on teaching our kids (age 3 and 2) Bible stories, I intervene on the ones I find inappropriate (for example, I do not want my kids believing...