or Connect

Posts by tennisdude23

Wow, it's remarkable how professional you were and how unprofessional that physician was.  To begin with, if you are anti-circ, dealing with this kind of situation, pre-op or post-op, is unsettling and I think you did an awesome job.  He had absolutely no right to ask you about your kids.  I hope you won't have to work with him in the near future, but if you do, your idea for a mediated discussion is great.  
  That must have been a terrible experience.  Unfortunately, you seemed to have been given lots of bad advice.  Most boys cannot retract the foreskin at 6 and 7.  Gently retracting the foreskin from birth can actually exacerbate the problem, causing micro tears and damaging the tissue.  While this is unlikely to occur if it happens from time to time, constant manipulation and forcing back of the skin is contraindicated.  This is the reason why the best care for an intact...
Realistically, you can't make a serious ethics case, as the RCTs got through IRBs funded by the NIH and Johns Hopkins University.  While the scientific results of the RCTs are legitimate, there has been much debate as to how they should influence issues of public policy.  In this regard, there have been some very good articles published challenging the specious arguments that circumcision will be a major force in stopping HIV in Africa.  Also keep in mind that JHU's...
Yes, well, unfortunately this is nothing new.  I am not sure that there can much done to address it either.  I can only tell you that the drive behind this manual and several others has mainly come from the advocacy of a small group of researchers, who for a variety of complex reasons, have been quite successful in pushing forward with their circumcision=surgical vaccine campaign in Africa.  This has been a project about 10 years in the making, and we are now seeing the...
Hi, I don't post here often, but I have followed this debate for some time and the likelihood of an organization coming out in favor of circumcision in the United States is fairly close to zero. 
Sure, it was a great question.  I was just trying to make my post a little lighthearted.  My point is that the foreskin is designed to withstand all kinds of manipulation, and it's no big deal if someone just touches it.  At the same time, it's best to leave it alone, and put it out of your mind.  It will retract on its own as your son grows up. 
Your son is fine. The foreskin is not going to fall off because of a little manipulation but poking around in there is not necessary. It will retract on its own sometime between now and his late teens. There is no reason to check it unless a problem arises.
Cervical cancer is caused by HPV. If there is any link between cervical cancer and circumcision, it is very weak. HPV like all other STDs can be prevented through safe sex. I just skimmed the Discovery Health article, and basically it's written in such way that if you are for circumcision, you will still be pro after reading it and vice versa. It really gives no substantive information, and quotes studies without putting them into any context. I can't stress enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by OperaDiva Haven't posted here in a while, but I just wanted to say that DS's urologist said the plastibell actually has a HIGHER risk of complications, it's just easier to do Unfortunately that ended up being the case for us, DS almost died the day he got circ'd, he slowly hemmorhaged for a few hours (and I mean SLOWLY, it really didn't look like much at first), until we got him back to the ER and he got a blood transfusion...
Penis comparisons is not something that father and sons bond over. Sure, boys look up to their dads and see them as role models, but believe me the penis is not the source of attraction here. As one poster on this forum once said, if a Dad wants to look like his newborn son, he better shave his pubic hair and pack ice in his shorts, seriously. Out of curiosity, do you know in what context the hospital made that statement, because I'm having a hard time believing it was...