or Connect

Posts by tennisdude23

Quote: Originally Posted by brant31 Several of the presenters in Vienna remarked how "embarrassing", "uncomfortable" or "shameful" it would be to have a foreskin when the majority are cut. While it's always unfortunate to come across opinions such as these, I think it's important to keep in mind that they are shared by a minority of people and that most AIDS/HIV work in Africa does not focus on circumcision. There are millions of people out...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirogi Wow. I need to schedule a visit with a therapist or something. I just feel like we are losing ground on everything that matters. Actually, the word is getting out everywhere; so, big progress is being made, but like any other social justice/human rights issue, it's always two steps forward, one step back. To be honest, I am not at all surprised by the cronyism and corruption within the UN programs, as these...
Here are a few more links on circumcision and HIV. The first one is more about the new gel, but summarizes the same statistical problems that make the circumcision studies suspect (for example, the fact that the raw numbers in both studies when it came to new infections were actually very low and should not necessarily be extrapolated to the 22 million people living in southern Africa and even more so to young infants in the US). Here is a highlight: "I came to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mama Metis Tennisdude, I agree with some of your points. The main concern about scaling up circ programs in Africa is whether or not the same degree of quality and health education that was made available in the studies can be made widely available. For example, if a man has sex before his circ wound is healed, his risk of contracting HIV is much higher. This is a real and valid concern. I disagree that the studies showed...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mama Metis I completely agree with your concerns about this data being used to justify RIC. Nevertheless, this was a huge breakthrough for HIV prevention. As an staunch opponent of RIC, I will admit I felt very threatened by these findings at first. (And sometimes still do.) It's much nicer when things break down into black and white, i.e. circ = always bad. But circ for HIV prevention in Africa falls into one of those...
While there may be some relation between circumcision and HIV in the limited context of the three RCTs in Africa, the 60% reduction rate will most likely not materialize in Africa or anywhere else once other factors come into play, which the RCTs did not/could not control for. One of the biggest problems with the studies is that they were terminated early, showing relatively few events. For example, far more men dropped out of the trials than we infected with HIV, and...
You can cath. an infant without retracting the foreskin, and if there are problems they can use a bag. With that said, I would not feel anxious. The foreskin is very durable, and a one time retraction is unlikely to cause any long-lasting issues. Boys at that age and older start to pull and twist the foreskin and do all kinds of seemingly painful things, but end up totally fine.
Everyone recommends circumcision? Uhmm, totally untrue. Most of the world does not circumcise, and no single medical society recommends it. Please print some pamphlets for her and change doctors. Kids at that age have really tiny openings. That's normal. You would know if he would be having trouble with urination, and no the foreskin opening just cannot close up and fuse together. I'm pretty sure that's impossible. To add about the cancer, he has a higher risk of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Night_Nurse For whatever reason, I can't get the link to open (I couldn't earlier either). Can someone sum it up for me? Is it a done deal and they are now recommending it for all babies based on the Africa study? No, absolutely not. I have not read this particular link, but I'm fairly certain that in terms of large scale policy the AAP recommendations won't change, except for perhaps a suggestion towards Medicaid...
Quote: Originally Posted by Papai Don't have too much info on this specific issue, but I'd be wary of John Hopkins. I don't know how much this translates to the emergency team in the hospital, but the university is home to some strong advocates of male circumcision. Although the Bloomberg School of Public Health has been heavily involved in the African RCTs, Johns Hopkins as an institution, whether in research, medicine, or public policy, is...