or Connect

Posts by tennisdude23

I am not a doctor, but my first thought was bacterial infection. If he has difficulty urinating, then medical attention is certainly warranted. Although justified in some medical instances, circumcision is very rarely needed, especially at a young age, when the body is developing. There are plenty of other options to entertain first.
No offense but your husband's argument is ridiculous. One hundred years ago, most people in the U.S. took a bath once a week, and somehow no one experienced foreskin issues. Remember, circumcision began in the U.S. not for hygienic concerns but as a way to "cure" masturbation. The hygiene argument came along only later and has been thoroughly debunked. If you are going to circumcise because of hygiene, for example, due to frequent trips to places where sanitation or...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2caroline I hadn't seen anything with statements directly from the AAP members... but I do agree that it would be questionable for them to recommend something that no other medical associations recommend anywhere. Do you happen to have any links to statements directly from the AAP? I don't have anything off hand, but I remember some info. on the subject in a New York Times article back from August, and there...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2caroline How can we be sure they won't recommend it, though? News media is reporting it like it is a good idea and a logical one as well. In a lot of the news articles, it actually says that they will shy away from a recommendation. As I said, the media coverage has been inaccurate with little substantial info. I just avoid the sensational headlines and press releases and look for what the AAP commitee...
Not to derail, but I just want to mention that the AAP is not going to recommend RIC. Despite some of the sensational news out there relating to this subject, a recommendation in favor of circumcision is really highly unlikely, given the positions of other medical organizations and the highly suspect research promoting RIC.
Quote: Originally Posted by unschoolinmom I have heard this. I'm getting my Masters in Psychology and sex therapy and we had to review studies done from different parts of the world about STD links and circumcision. There has been some studies showing that for example in Africa where HIV/AIDS is rampant, uncircumcised males had a greater risk of spreading than circumcised. This was primarily because the underskin of the foreskin and it's arrangement over...
Quote: Originally Posted by Avocado My 21 yr old brother just got circ'd last week for this reason. He got HPV from his ex-girlfriend years ago and gave it to his current girlfriend and he blames being intact on it. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I'm still not circ'ing my son, due in June. Getting circumcised does not cure HPV. If you got HPV from someone and gave it to someone else, it's not because you have a foreskin. I'm pretty...
This entire story about circumcision and the CDC is really quite hysterical. As time passes, I think it's becoming more evident that nobody is going to be recommending circumcision for anyone. The recommendation was supposed to be out months ago. This has not happened, which shows the lack of urgency here and that the CDC is going to be very careful in what it says, in light of some of its recent scandals. Since this story broke in August, the Australians and the...
Brent, as I pointed out earlier, I'm very much skeptical of anecdotal accounts pertaining to this idea of "mass circumcision in the military," and I don't think it's a wise to add fuel to the fire, without practicing caution, at least for the sake of historical accuracy. Again, from my experience, I tend to find that such accounts are usually quite exaggerated. For example, this claim of a "Neptune party" I find very suspicious. First off, why would you do a mass...
I don't have any statistics off hand but here is a very interesting link to an article by independent historian, Robert Darby, on this urban myth of mass circumcisions during World War II. http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/118-1218/1564/ I have not researched Darby's claims much further, but I do know a lot about World War II and in the countless books and articles that I have read on the subject, I had never encountered circumcision propagated as mass surgery for new...