or Connect

Posts by pokeyrin

Thanks for the responses :) and sorry my response is going to be long again... guess there is a lot of back story.   This is our first child and yes there have been past issues between MIL and myself/DH but they were manageable but then when DD was born it slowly started to ramp up (not surprisingly). I got advice here and from friends to get a better perspective of things and basically tried to just let things go and not be that crazy first time parent who makes...
We just got through an extremely frustrating annual trip with DH's family. Our DD who is 3.5 years old spent the entire trip avoiding and ignoring us and also being completely disrespectful. We started this trip out trying to be very relaxed about not keeping all the 'home rules' in effect, but drew the line at things such as going to bed after 11pm, not washing hands or brushing teeth, eating junk and candy all day long or watching age inappropriate movies with the...
Linda,   First of all *HUGS* I don’t post often on MDC, but sometimes I do when something hits close to home. My paranoid schizophrenic mother had her first breakdown when I was 2. I’ve been the parent, sole caregiver, punching bag, and the one who is always at fault. I have PTSD as a result of the trauma and abuse I experienced.   Mom is now in a nursing home. She’s in a safe environment and getting help and treatment. I’m happy for her. The dynamic between us...
Get your hands on Uva Ursi aka Bearberry and make tea out of the leaves. I think they sell tinctures and pre-made tea bags, but I've always used the loose tea leaves.   Ever since a local herbalist recommended I try it years ago (I used to get UTI's often) I have not had a full blown case of UTI since I started drinking this tea. In fact I can't even remember the last time I had to brew it, but I always keep a supply on hand. Cranbery juice, antibiotics and OTCs have...
The document you are looking for is BUMEDINST 6230.15A, specifically page 10 at the bottom talks about children attending DOD sponsored schools.    
We absolutely love Dr. Elvove in Libertyville - http://elvovemd.com/, he's great with the kids and really knows his stuff. I don't trust a lot of doctors, but I do trust him.   He used to be a home birth doctor and I don't know if he's still delivering at Highland Park hospital. His office is well-known for having a very relaxed stance on vaccines. If you do a search here on Elvove you'll find a few threads on him and a few other doctor's in the northern...
Reminds me of this great one I came across lately that seems so fitting in helping me work with my almost 3 year old - "parenting has never, and will never be about convenience"  
  This is an argument that I hear and have read quite often and it’s disingenuous, my response is that every.single.minute of the day there is some person who is making a decision that someone believes has a negative effect on the community, society and children. People who choose to not to vaccinate are not breaking any laws, we just happen to be in the minority making decisions that are contrary to the majority – we are essentially dissenters. There was a wonderful...
We're a civilian family who is looking into daycare at a Navy CYP (they've open up to civilians due to low enrollment). We will be filing a religious exemption, but are unsure how the regulations apply to us. We assume state laws apply to the daycare because they have opened up to civilians. We had some questions and drafted an initial letter, anyone who is familiar with Navy CYP please PM me?     Thanks! Pokeyrin  
  My relationship with my father is non-existent, we talk maybe once a year if that.   However my parents are not a good example of Chinese parents pushing for academic excellence. I was pushed but in an entirely different way then my Chinese peers, but the ideal behind the pushiness is essentially the same.   Parenting in the Chinese culture is not the selfless sacrifice that Amy Chua trys to portray, the motive is entirely self-serving as children are insurance for old...