or Connect

Posts by kapatasana

Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka honestly I have never met a non-denominatioinal church that wasn't ubber conservative. i think you would like something like methodist or presbitarian. This has been my experience as well. Usually I've found Non-denominational churches to be conservative, evangelical and/or fundementalist. Often I've found "non-denominational" to actually mean "Anti-denominational", as if the general belief was that...
When I was a child every time I would ride with my aunt she would say this prayer to Michael the arch angel: Lord Michael before, Lord Michael behind Lord Michael to the East, Lord Michael to the West Lord Michael above, Lord Michael below Lord Michael, Lord Michael wherever we go. I still say it sometimes when I'm nervous in the car or before a long journey
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquesce Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might ... ~the first part of Ecclesiastes 9:10 For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men. ~2 Corinthians 8:21 thank you! These are very much what I'm looking for.
I remember the last time I went to confession was when I was around 15 (I no longer practice Christianity). The priest was a good friend of my family and spent most of the time telling me what a nice young lady I was Not what I expected (though I was a really really well behaved non-rebellious teenager). The first time I went when I was 9 I was so nervous I forgot the act of contrition and the priest had to go through it line by line with me. Then I cried. A lot.
I'm designing business cards as a gift for my father in law and brother in law. They own a small carpet cleaning business. My father in law is an evangelical Christian who basically wouldn't even consider using a business card that didn't some how reference his Christianity. I was thinking of maybe including a bible verse somewhere, but I have no idea which one. Preferably something that doesn't make is seem like he's proselytizing, and maybe something that references...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat I could be wrong about this, but I was told that many of the "traditional" Mennonite clothing was the stuff that was NOT in style at the time they were forming as a group. So, for example, their beards (squarish,) are the opposite of the fashionable beards (pointy.) We have a big Mennonite community here, but they don't wear cape dresses, just plain floral ones, mostly in blue or pink (for the younger...
Quote: Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder Don't mean to change the topic, but I've been thinking about this a lot. I've recently been re-exploring Christianity. I was raised Lutheran. Attended Catholic schools. Rejected Christianity. Did a brief stint as a militant atheist. Became a Unitarian Universalist and became really active in the church. (During this period I really explored Paganism and still identify with parts of it.) Had a kid. Realized the...
The minister who married my DH and I used to always say "oh my word!" so I always associate that with ministers. Didn't DJ on full house used to say "Oh mylanta"? I like that.
Quote: Originally Posted by the_lissa I have never seen a nun in real life with a wedding ring on. I have never noticed if any of the sisters I know wear a ring or not, but I remember hearing about this in CCD class. They told us that when some women become nuns (usually those who are cloistered [is that the right word? I apologize if it's not] I think. Will have a ceremony were they wear a wedding dress and everything and invite their close...
My favorite (local) bookstore has a pretty broad selection religion wise. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely more books about and related to Christianity than all of the other world religions combined, but I've never had trouble finding anything. The Christian books are listed as "Christian" (though at one of their locations [they have 3] there's a "Catholic" section and a "Bible" section that are separate) and all other religions are labeled under "religion". At the...