or Connect

Posts by tangledblue

So, my 2.5 year old is babbling away in her toddler bed...not unhappy...she can get out if she wants (and sometimes gets out for a "false alarm" potty break, or a real one...she seems to be night training herself..but anyway..how long should you let your kid babble for? She's not crying, just singing, telling stories, making noises, bouncing around. She can put herself to sleep and usually does, but it's been over an hour so far, way longer than usual. Maybe it's...
Thank you so so much for your great and thoughtful responses! You have really captured what I have been trying to articulate to DH about Montessori and creativity. I think he might be coming around.  :)
Thanks for your replies! Freestylemama, can you tell me what was rough about the adjustment? FWIW, both schools I was talking about are certified, one AMS and one AMI. Another question: did using cursive sandpaper letters make it harder for your child to learn to read/identify printed letters?
Ok. I went to a Montessori preschool and LOVED it. We are looking at preschools for DD next year (when she will be 3.5) and my starting point was Montessori. DH and I went to our first open house at a Montessori school here and it turns out that, while I loved it (walked into the space and was enchanted, so lovely and organized and appealing, really liked what the teachers said for the most part),  DH pretty much hated it. He didn't like: a) how often the name Montessori...
Black dots? If you see them again and they look like coffee grounds, see a doctor...I've heard that it can relate to digestive, kidney, or allergy problems. Hope you feel better, and don't feel worthless! It's so hard sometimes.
I find that it is easier to get things done after I've done some sort of activity out of the house with DD (she is 2 and this has been true for a while). Kind of like, we get back and she's happy to see her toys and I might get chunks of 10-20 min when she plays alone and I can get a few things done. And, naptime of course. In your shoes, I would definitely try to find another playdate or other regular activity for the two of you--storytime at the library, gymboree,...
I really, really want a clementine now. Yum.
Ok, just being neurotic here: DD (almost 2.5) is constantly singing/reciting stories and lyrics, even things she has only heard a couple of times. Today it was Frere Jacques while she was doing a puzzle, which she hasn't heard in probably 2 months. Or it will be a fragment from a Curious George story or something, or various nonsense rhymes from a Mother Goose book. She has always been very verbal and can hold a conversation just fine too, so I'm assuming this is normal...
Same thing here. DD did great for a month and then lots of accidents. Much better now. Things that seem to be working: -Letting DD have as much control as possible--e.g. reminding her to go & offering help but not pushing it. -Giving advance notice: "We need to leave to go to the zoo soon and we have to use the potty before we leave." (Go to the bathroom before leaving the house yourself as an example). -Or phrasing it as a simple sequence of events, especially if...
Ok, so I'm still waiting for "Playful Parenting" from the library and I don't know if it has ideas about this anyway, but here's the issue: DD (2) is usually pretty good about the potty, but sometimes has accidents when either: she gets so involved playing that she forgets or, I ask her, she says no, and then 10 minutes later her pants are wet. It's the second situation that I am more concerned about. I think it's because she wants to be in control of it, which is fine,...