or Connect

Posts by orangewallflower

Misconscrewed, I am so very sorry your daughter and you are going through this. When a Waldorf class isn't working, people who know Waldorf know to just pull their kids. The teacher's authority is paramount and will be treated as such until he or she leaves the school or is fired. This is the sort of class that hobbles along, gets worse and worse, parents pull their kids and eventually (but too late for so many) the teacher is replaced. If there is out of control...
Thank you so, so much for telling your story! You sound like an incredible asset to the faculty you are a part of, and it is delightful to hear that you found a program that worked for you. 
Izzybelly,Please tell us more! I would love to know your story and how you navigate the indications and what is your relationship to anthroposophy. Do you work out of anthroposophy?  Do you believe in a spiritual world and that it is observable? Has it been easy or a struggle? 
DimitraDaisy, I have found that some of the best Waldorf teachers are the ones who found Waldorf after teaching in public schools successfully. People who love Waldorf and who are natural teachers (hence don't need the classroom management lessons) do so well.    Crowlessly, I never did teacher training. I worked in a Waldorf school office, and thought seriously about teacher training, but through many discussions with Waldorf teacher friends learned that it just...
Wow, Alenushka! Enough said. 
Crowlessly, I feel like I should make clear that my pretty certain response to your question was not because you describe yourself as agnostic. That word seems to encompass so many different things, and I can certainly imagine a Waldorf teacher considering him or herself agnostic (though I think it is rare.)  My certainty is because of how you are responding to learning about Steiner and Anthroposophy. I was stuck on the same thing as you and I have a handful of friends...
It's more than annoying for a rationalist. A rationalist looks to the sensory world, evidence, the knowable for answers. Without that we can't be grounded. Steiner taught that one can experience the spirit world directly. All his teachings stem from this first principal. If you don't believe this first principal, the rest is impossible to embrace. And it's not just sitting through long conversations, it's walking a spiritual path that it is your job as a Waldorf teacher...
Augustine, you sound like someone *much* more likely to love W teacher training. What struck me about the OP is that it sounds like the more she learns about Anthroposophy the less she likes it and she made clear that she doesn't think that the sprit world is knowable if it exists at all. This is a lot like me, and after many discussions and a few classes, I learned that Waldorf teacher training would be an unhappy environment for me. You are right that her beliefs won't...
You will have a tough time. They will be welcoming of you, but anthroposophy will probably drive you more nuts the further you study it. I suggest you find out if you can enroll in the first couple months on a trial basis and then be really honest with yourself about whether it is a healthy environment for you. In the end you can become a handwork teacher and work with awesome kids, but in the end Waldorf teachers teach out of Anthroposophy and Waldorf teacher training...
Eggs are another great protein source. Fish if you do fish.