or Connect

Posts by mama crane

We do have a greenhouse and a regular garden. We built the greenhouse using plastic tubing (pvc electric tubing?) and vapor barrier plastic sheeting to cover. I grew tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, celery, bok choy and cukes. I planted typical cold weather crops in the regular garden: potatos, leeks, peas, garlic,kale, spinach and green beans. This year, I plan on brussel sprouts, cabbage, broc and cauli. in the cold weather garden as well.
I'm in Fairbanks and not sure how different we are (other than less rain?). I typically start seeds in April and plant Memorial Day weekend. This year the harvest ran longer because of the looong fall . The Alaska Gardening Guide is a very good ref. book for what and when and how to plant. Moose are my main problem here as well. I had a great fence and they just trampled it down. They ate everything!!!! To add insult to injury, our neighbor shot the moose during...
My first 2 dc have left heart defects. I had a miscarriage and then my 3rd dc who has no cardiac issues. I often wonder if the baby I lost had some sort of heart issue. My father was heavily exsposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam a few years before I was born. There has been some research suggesting that grandchildren of those men exsposed have higher occurances of heart and kidney defects. I have pretty much stopped wondering/worrying about what may have caused the...
Heartmommyak...I am in AK as well. I completely understand so much of what you posted. We, too were totally overwhelmed with our DS's 1st surgery. He was diagnosed 1 day postpartum and that night we were lear jetted to Portland. The situation was so dire at that time all we could think of was to keep him alive, yk? I was so tired from birth, I had a gazillion stitches, was bleeding and somehow how to learn how to pump and then breastfeed a sick baby...and hobble from the...
aubergine68- we actually have a year round CSA through Full Circle Farms in WA state. They fly in our boxes via AK Air Cargo....in addition, we have a few very nice local CSAs through the summer and I garden. We also have a Sams Club which sometimes has organic vegs and Fred Meyer grocery store with a large organic veg section. I try to buy what is in season and on sale. I hear talk of a natural foods co-op going in here as well. I suppose the price is higher than some...
Hi everyone....Weds. already??? I've been forging ahead. I survived the Christmas party...ate lots of fresh veg and fruit and yummy guac. I managed to avoid the sweets...candied apples?!!! But did succumb to a glass of wine ( had to drink for DH as he was driving) I was famished when we got home and ate loads of braised kale and a bit of quionoa.... I second Melinda...don't stress so much nursing mamas. When I was nursing my last DD and following ETL (modified a bit) I...
Hi MammaE....I think I just saw you on the YogaMama thread! Hi everyone else...hope we are all doing well heading into the weekend....our holiday events are beginning. I am taking DD to the Nutcracker matinee on Saturday and we have to go to an annual party Sunday afternoon. The party will be a challenge as there will be LOTS of sweets and hot buttered rum. YIKES. DH has been reading ETL and learning so much. He is a solid omni, but will go veg to cleanse/detox about 1x...
Hi....I feel a little silly posting on this thread as I don't really consider myself a "yoga mama", but I have been consistently practicing using a DVD at least twice a week for a few months now. I have taken classes, when possible, here and there for the last 10 years or so. Right now, I am really grooving with the Vinyasa flow/ power yoga (?) style. I use 3 different DVDs depending on what I feel like. My DH tries to practice with me as well and he really the prefers...
Hi, Even though it is the last day of the month, I thought I'd join in....if that's ok. My name is Jen and I am 35 with 3 kiddos (9,8, and 3). I have been doing the ETL thing for about 2 years to varying degrees....meaning I like to have a glass of wine or chocolate or pizza now and then. For the most part, I stick to plan but have never been close to what Fuhrman considers my ideal weight. I am 5'9 so that means 131!!! I am around 138-142 (fluctuates ) and wear a...
tortilla chips and roasted garlic hummus