or Connect

Posts by justthinkn

Thank you both again - very helpful!
Anj_rn that's such a helpful description. DD is learning to type and loves it, and I was just looking at the kidspiration app for mapping things... OK, I looked at the Words Their Way site, and didn't quite get what I would need to use it at home. Could someone explain?
Just thought to add, she did have to give the charter a writing sample this last week. The writing prompt asked her her favorite season, and since she couldn't spell winter, this was her little essay, written legibly, with the word "favorite" copied from the writing prompt: "My favorite is fall. It is fun. I likce to plal in it." Also, our homeschooling style has just been pretty relaxed and eclectic so far. I want to challenge her appropriately where she's at, and...
Thanks for the response! Yes, I was asking more about cognitive testing b/c what she just did was achievement testing, the scantron performance test. So we have worked quite a bit on phonics, through the 4th Explode the Code book, even though she's reading much higher. I thought it would help with spelling, but it just hasn't. The part of the scantron test she was so weak on comparatively was "phonological awareness," where it's all oral, thru headphones. PHonics was...
It's been a while since I posted here, but here I go... DD is 6, and we're homeschooling, with a charter for the first time this year. She's not doing PG types of things, but she's the kind of kid who adults look at funny as soon as she starts talking, the big words coming out of the cute little voice and body . Strong reader, strong at math... She was given a scantron performance test through her charter recently, and though I was given little "interpretation," the...
Thanks for the perspective, Tigerle - I probably just need to breathe as well!
Hi, I don't post here often, but I could really use some perspectives on 5 year olds! If crazy stories and how you handled them are immediately jumping to mind, that's what I'm looking for! DD5 is accelerated academically some (homeschooled),I don't have anything quantified. She's young 5, reading really well with amazing comprehension and expression as long as text/font is big enough Doing math at 1st grade level (fun, conceptual, CSMP if you're familiar with it) ,...
Just popping back to say we had a great first day. Just enough special, totally relaxed. Woke up reminding myself that we're doing this so she can grow 100% into herself, not so she can fit into check off boxes! So I was really psyched to go with her flow, let her play with materials we used before or after things I'd planned, pause for different kinds of play the intentional stuff inspired... It was a really good day . Oh, and after using scrabble tiles for one ETC...
Here's my n=1 experience... A big reason homeschooling appeals to me is that I love learning and am excited to share that with my kids. My personal experience as a child was being a frustrated, under-challenged precocious learner, and I sensed that potential in DD. So I would say I dabbled with being more intentional early, and learned a lot about making things more complicated than necessary . I made a lot of mistakes, but learned through them. Baby DS will benefit...
Ok, my new plan for handwriting - HWT inspired practice. For spelling, ETC with scrabble tiles wherever writing would be expected! She should like that.