or Connect

Posts by justthinkn

OP, one other thought re: your description of your DS as "not a live wire" and not prefering to be outside. My DD, too, and I'm trying to balance respecting her preference and stretching her a little b/c I think outside play is so valuable! Plus I worry a bit that it's my own tendency to stay indoors influencing her . Anyway, I've decided to make getting outside part of our morning routine, and what keeps it more natural feeling is that I've found a good reason to go out...
I agree, kumon is expensive, and it's actually one resource I dole out rather sparingly as a fun yet easy for mommy craft option The catalog idea is fun! Re: HWT - I go back and forth on tihis, b/c I will admit it's not my DD's favorite at the moment, b/c she thinks she already knows how to write. I don't want it to become a power struggle, so I'm trying to keep it playful (and HWT is as playful as it gets I think). But since she's motivated to write should I really...
It sounds like you 're thinking about playful lessons you think he wou,d enjoy, right? I would throw in "short" and "no pressure to do daily," and that's about where I am with my 4yo DD. Here are a few things we're using in those areas. MATH *CSMP Online, free curriculum- playful, imaginative, lots of manipulatives, no worksheets, deep connections being built - we do "math play" maybe twice a week *Kitchen table math book- for games to play to reinforce skills I can...
I would recommend being intentional about interest-led, experience-rich, unschoolish approaches if you're worried. I was formally after schooled quite a bit in my younger years (reading, writing, etc.) and I don't have fond memories . I think my mom did it for enrichment, not remediation, but it just felt horrible to have more seat work after even a half day of K! JMO- good luck!
I was having so many a few days ago that I called my midwife...  I did have a lot early with DD, too, but these just seemed more intense, more often...  She suggested a Cal/Mag supplement, 2000/1000 mg per day of each, and it calmed down a lot within 24 hours!  Now back to not worrying about it :)  I went full-term with DD despite all the BHs, too.
Unbelievable...  My HMO called today 4 hrs before my 16 wk prenatal to cancel it, and then when they called back to reschedule, they had a grand total of one appointment available within the next two weeks, at a time I couldn't do, and at a center over 30m away (v. my normal office which is 5m away)...  And then they acted like they didn't understand why I was upset when they couldn't offer me any other options!!  So I ended up asking them to have my normal office call...
I vote email or phone, depending on your friend.  About 9 months ago I had a friend tell me in person she *thought* she was pregnant just as I was starting infertility evaluations, and she was trying to be sensitive, but it was still horrible trying to be happy for her, while just wanting desperately to leave so I could process.  Once I'd had a chance to cry and talk to another good friend who would get it, I asked her to let me know by email if and when she confirmed it...
I'm still in survival eating mode, too - still have nausea at 13 weeks and still a couple pounds down from the beginning, not losing anymore, but not gaining either.  Thus the homemade apple pie I'm nibbling for breakfast as I type      But generally, I'm shooting for "almost" Brewer's - I think the official recommendation is 100g of protein, and I'm shooting for more like 80g.  That's more do-able since I'm lactose intolerant when I'm pregnant - I can't drink a...
This thread has sure slowed down   I'm posting just to make myself get up off my butt and head out on a walk, though a big part of me would love to take a nap before I have to go out tonight!  It's been almost two weeks since I exercised, with a huge yucky virus and morning sickness hitting me at the same time.  But I started taking B6, and it's really helping...  So off I go, reminding myself of how great it felt to be a (basically) fit preggo last time!
THIS.  We're in the middle of buying a house - I want to declutter already and start packing the not-totally-necessaries, but feel totally tired and overwhelmed.  DD won't be going back to preschool after this year - I want to start doing fun little pre-homeschool activities, but find myself napping on the couch while she plays around me or watches a LITTLE too much TV.   And I have work that I know deep down I really care about...  But there's nothing urgent on the...