or Connect

Posts by justthinkn

Heard the heartbeat last night with the HB MW - 12 weeks today!  It was a great appointment overall, helped me feel much more mellow after the HMO MW suggested I only gain 15 pounds this pregnancy (not the normal rec for someone of my BMI), and she was so sweet with DD (3.5).  I don't know if the HMO people would include the kids, too, but it was so fun to have DD sitting on the bed with me, helping to hold the doppler and really feeling involved - her grin when we found...
I had such a hard week last week, hoping for a better one!  I start morning sickness/throwing up on the late side, so that kicked in just as I was getting to 11 weeks AND just as I started this nasty cold virus that kept me home from work all week and sent me to the doctor at one point b/c I was worried about the baby with how high the fever was getting.  Together, emotionally, that was just too much - I was a sick, whiny, teary mess who still had a 3.5 yo to care for!...
So first I started a fever and major cold...  Then all the coughing seems to have triggered throwing up at last, at almost 11wks (just like last pregnancy, so weird - so I may be in for another month of this).  So... yeah, no exercise for me for a couple days 
I liked Bradley for the explanations, exercise and eating recommendations, Birthing from Within for actual advice on all the many ways to labor depending on how you're wired!  One other rec I haven't seen:  The Birth Partner by Simkin for your DH.  Mine loved it, marked up pages, just felt more prepared and in the know (even though he didn't get to use much of it :))
I would add postpartum care stuff for YOU, like herbs for a sitz bath, the Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm or mist, a peri bottle, a good book for when you're nursing endlessly or just need a good cry...  All that stuff :)  I really appreciated my cloth pantiliners, too, once I got out of the heavy flowing lochia stage.   ETA:  I didn't get much use from the baby bath tubs b/c after a while I realized it was much more relaxing to take a bath together and nurse...
I lost a few pounds at the beginning with DD, and then weight gain was slow and you could totally tell I was hollowing out everywhere but my belly - until I deliberately started adding some fat to my diet around 15-16 weeks.  I ended up with a 23 lb gain and a healthy but smaller baby who's still on the shorter side - so I think that's just her genes.   So far I seem to be heading in the same direction with this pregnancy, eating plenty of good, healthy foods and...
Ok, that bellydancing workout that I thought was so mild - apparently deceptively so!  My back is quite sore today   Will give it another try in a few days, but know to be more careful!
DD (3.5yo) has been ridiculously excited since we told her, so thrilled to be an older sister!  She's been praying and asking others to pray that we'd have a baby for about 6 months now :)  She talks to the baby, including the baby's responses, constantly wants to pat and kiss and sing to my tummy, talks about all the ways she'll help, giggles about me feeding the baby every time I eat, begs me to wear "pregnancy pants"...  We made her a calendar with pictures of what...
Sorry your energy is still low, Cathy!  I think mine came back in the last week or so...  This morning I actually wanted to stay on the elliptical after my usual 15m I've been struggling to do - but I hadn't left myself enough time before work/preschool :)  Tried PPW vol. 3, the one, just the beginner workout, and while the dancing was challenging enough for a total novice, didn't feel like a tough workout.  But it was kind of fun and relaxing anyway, just 30m long, and...
I can't really remember if I exercised much last week - I don't think I did - energy zapped   So it was so hard to get motivated today, but I told myself I could do the easy version of everything in the PPW 1 if I wanted to...  And I did!  Still an excellent workout :)  Also walked with DD to the park today, a little over a mile roundtrip.  So I feel like it was something!  Tomorrow hoping to get on the elliptical for 15m before work.