or Connect

Posts by Divina

I have not used timeouts with my youngest yet (he just turned two), but I did at times with my two older ones (who are now in their teens. My oldest is a freshman in college). I have never used them punitively. I liked someone's comment early in this thread about "calm outs"--that's more like what I have done. If my kid (or I or both) is to angry or frustrated to deal with the situation, some time to be quiet is very helpful. I do this when I'm in conflict with an adult,...
I'm looking for help with the same thing! We're not sure yet if we're ready to move DS into his own bed, but DS #2 is on the way and we're seriously considering it. But we're also concerned that DS #1 will feel that he's being rejected for the new baby. Divina
We have a 2-year-old and, until recently, my teenage daughter from a previous relationship living with us. Our house is 750 sq. ft. Doing it somewhere else just wasn't an option, unless we locked ourselves into the bathroom! (which was sometimes fun, but not always very comfortable). However, once DS is asleep, he's usually very asleep, so we haven't been too worried about him being in the bed with us--we just pile up some pillows for some semblance of privacy and try not...
We use a family practitioner who admitted she was not very familiar with cosleeping, but her only concern would be that we not try to change the arrangement when our DS was a two-year-old. Since I agree with her about that, it's no problem. She does have a range of questions she asks, but they all seem to be related to medical and/or developmental issues. Personally, I have a very strong preference for family practitioners. I like the fact that she knows the whole...
Similar situation here, DS is 2 now (will be 2 1/2 when next DS is born in early Feb). Restless sleeper. We have a king-size, which feels full right now with 6'1" SO, pregnant (I always get huge) me and DS. Currently, we have an elevated bed with a railing around it (for storage under). We're considering putting the mattress on the floor and adding a twin, but we're not sure how that will work as far as the size of the room. How well does the multiple-mattress thing work?...
ANyone have recommendations for HB MWs in Longmont, CO? I am about half an hour away from Boulder, but prefer someone in town, if possible. This will be my 4th child, but first HB. Divina
My DS (almost 2) has not (apparently) started hitting other kids, but does hit/kick me and his dad. Not usually out of frustration, but he seems to think it's play. Any suggestions? He's pretty verbal, but hasn't seemed to register "gentle", although that with taking his hands and showing him sometimes works. Nothing seems to work for the kicking. He just asks "kicking?" and then does it some more. Divina
We do have a railing around our bed, which my SO made from an old futon frame. We use a down comforter and lots of pillows--I'm about four months pregnant and use them under my knees, etc. DS brings toys to bed and sleeps in whatever. SO and I prefer to sleep nude until it gets cold. DS is almost 2 now, never had a problem--I think it depends a lot on everyone's "sleep personality". Both SO and I wake easily, neither of us toss around much, DS hates having covers on him so...