or Connect

Posts by Divina

This thread has had me reflecting on what makes "boring" (for me). There are a number of authors who write beautifully--I mean, I really enjoy and appreciate their style of writing--but I find their characters flat or their plot dull. Hemingway is one of those--I understand all the brouhaha, he really did introduce an entirely different kind of writing at the time, but his characters are so two-dimensional to me that I can't seem to care what happens to them. But then...
I had the "skin crawl" problem, too, but it eventually went away, especially after I gave up trying to nurse them simultaneously. my almost 4 yo doesn't like waiting 'til baby brother finishes, but agrees it's easier than trying to nurse while baby brother pokes him and tries to pry him off my breast! I seriously considered weaning Rowan (3 yo) but decided against it, just because, as difficult as it was for me, he clearly wasn't ready yet. But now he usually only nurses...
Um, yes, but not to screen them. I just get curious and want to read them for myself.
Okay, there are a bunch of artists I love or at least generally like who have done a song or two I just can't stand. Now I've forgotten this one guy's name--maybe it's John Mayer? There are a couple of relatively new guys who sound similar, and one's him and one's "the other guy"--anyway, I've liked what I've heard so far, but I just can't stand that song "Daughters". Makes me want to :Puke And I've loved Bowie since I first discovered him sometime in the '70s, but...
"I'm Free"--Soupdragons "In These Shoes?"--Kirsty MacColl "Time in a Bottle"--Jim Croce "Right Here Right Now"--Jesus Jones (not sure if I got that title right) "Suffragette City"--David Bowie
Oh, I forgot ... Heart of Darkness by Conrad ... ugh. I actually couldn't finish it and just took the hit on my lit grade. It was worth it.
Just want to point out that there are M.D.s out there who are vociferously anti-circ. My ped in Oklahoma City was very happy with our decision not to, and the practice we go to here hands out educational literature promoting keeping boys intact. (The OKC doc didn't give us an indication about his feelings until he saw that we weren't going to, then his face lit up and he said, "Oh thank goodness! I hate doing that!" so he wasn't so vociferous, I guess. He felt like he had...
My almost 4yo can't say "L" or "R" either. My MIL is a speech therapist and says it's totally normal. However, she does play games with him that involve the "L" sound and making his tongue curl different ways, so I figure it's normal, but some fun games to help it along won't hurt any. (As long as they're fun--my DS really likes playing these games with Nana).
I got a really great winter coat for DS at The Children's Place for $15--I kid you not, brand new, not a second, comfy coat with detachable hood and thinsulate or something similar, so not as bulky as down. It was on the sale rack and it wasn't even an end-of-season sale, so it's worth checking that place out. Regular prices are too high, sales are great. BTW he was able to wear it 2 years, too, and it still looks nearly perfect. It will work for his younger brother, too.
ITA with the PP who said that some of these authors are spoiled for people because they're introduced too early. Steinbeck is forever spoiled for me because they made us read him in grade school! "The Red Pony" in (I think) 4th grade ... I could go on a loooonng rant about this, but I won't. Maybe I should give him another try, because although I can't get through one of his books, I actually think his writing is beautiful. I loved his version of the King Arthur...