or Connect

Posts by Divina

I can't homeschool, either. But, with my older kids, I found it easy to supplement/subvert what they were getting in the classroom. The schools here are very decent, so that helped a lot. I found the best way, for me, was to gently question whatever it was they were learning, even if I agreed with it in general. Just get them to look at things and think critically. I'll have to get this book somehow. I wonder if I can get it through my library? I'm on a "no spending...
I love Netflix too! We usually get one adult movie and two kid ones at a time. We very rarely get a chance to watch adult movies, as by the time the kids are asleep neither of us could stay awake to watch a movie! So we keep one adult flick until we get a chance to see it, then get one more. But it's nice to get the kid movies to check out, too. We don't buy many at all.
We only go for the big spectacular kinds of movies, like LOTR. Regular price is $9 for adults here, so with babysitting and popcorn (I'll sneak in candy but not popcorn--too messy) it means big bucks. But once in a while, my teenage boy will offer free babysitting for the younger ones so we can see ones we really want to (or he thinks we should, like the last Star Wars).
The Red Pony by Steinbeck. We had to read this at school when I was in 4th or 5th grade and I've been wishing I hadn't read it ever since. I can't remember anything about it except the vulture-beak-in-the-dead-pony's-eye part. Why on earth do they make little kids read literature that was intended for adults? Did they just think "it's about a pony, let's make them read it"? (This is the one I was trying to remember earlier).
I love The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper too-it will be in the Young Adult or kids' section. I also love Lloyd Alexander's series centered around Taran, the Assistant Pig-keeper. Also YA/kids. A lot of good fantasy is in that section! Another like that is Tamora Pierce, who has several fantasy series out now. For "adult" fare, I like Neil Gaiman a lot. The Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton is a lot of fun, but does have a lot of pretty darn explicit sex...
Smoke & Mirrors is the one I had in mind. Haven't seen Angels & Visitations yet--is that a new collection? I'll have to get it somehow ... library may or may not have it, and I'm supposed to not spend money right now!
That's so great! See, we told ya so!
Thanks for so many thoughtful responses! I find that I do better if I join a class or go to a gym rather than taking walks ... I really dislike jogging/running. My DH and I have been talking about this, too. We're going to let the kids have a bit more time to get used to the new situation (and hope the baby gets a bit less frantic/clingy when I'm home), then set up a regular schedule for ourselves. We're thinking Sat morning and one evening a week, or something like that....
Hi! DH and I are both bi and poly. We were more active in pursuing partners before we had kids. While we were TTC, we were temporarily monogamous. We haven't had any outside partners since our youngest was born--too much going on in our lives (moved, got married, I started WOHM-ing again). But we have two couples we're friends with that may become lovers as well. One couple we have "played with" before, we sort of lost touch while I was pregnant and recently started...
I almost posted the OP's post! I'm bi, married to a male, have kids with him, definitely aware of the het privilege issue. Differences: he's also bi, and we have an open marriage. Technically, anyway. With our sons at the ages they are now, neither of us has the energy to pursue other relationships! I am out to most people, including my own parents, but not to DH's parents (he's not out to them either, and has no interest in ever being), and just people it hasn't come...