or Connect

Posts by Divina

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the boy/girl behavior dichotomy several posters have mentioned. My girl is an explorer/adventurer. Two boys are quiet, more introverted types. The youngest is only 18 months, but looks like he'll be more "traditionally male". That said, my kids *all* do the "behave in public" thing and save the difficult stuff for home ... which is better than the other way around! And I agree I want my kids to be independent thinkers ......
My DD went to a counselor for a while, presenting symptom was self injury. My approach and the counselor's approach, which she now says was the big key to her acceptance of counseling, was that there was nothing wrong with her--she wasn't "broken". She just needed to learn better ways to cope. She and I both have tendencies toward depression. I have been depression-free for at least 5 years, and she has been for at least 2, and self-injury free for longer. This is just to...
Several years ago, I turned to credit counseling. Even with their help (and they were very helpful) I had to work two jobs to pay off my debt. That was my turning point, as I had no car payment, didn't live extravagantly (no cable, rarely ate out), and my primary job paid decently, but I still needed a second job! I stopped using credit cards altogether and stayed debt-free for a long time. Definitely hard to live within my means, but I just didn't give myself any...
Even buying as much natural/organic as I do, I still use coupons. A lot of the natural/organic companies have realized people like them. I use them for dish soap/dishwasher detergent, dairy products, and some of the condiments/sauces I buy. I also keep canned soup on hand because DH likes to have it around, and that is a coupon item. Other than that, stocking up on sale stuff, buying bulk, cooking large amounts and freezing (which also helps with time during the week)...
And then there's me, who reads about decluttering and starts feeling like I'm doing something constructive ... then never gets around to actually doing it!
I love the cardboard wardrobe boxes too. I still use mine to store out-of-season clothes that I don't want to have to iron when I get them back in circulation. My dad uses the shower-curtain-rod-across-the-back-of-the-car for when he and my mom take a road trip.
I will wash most things together, but I wash jeans and towels separately so they don't fray the lighter/softer things. And the diapers are pre-sorted and get a different wash treatment, so they go separately. If there is too much for one load, I'll sort by color--darks and lights. But that's about it. I don't like to do small loads. I need to get my DS more socks so I don't have to wash so often!
I would love to do it all at once, but I never have time! I usually do one room at a time, and try not to cheat by moving stuff from room to room. And we're having a yard sale this weekend. Our whole neighborhood does one every year, we all contribute to the ad costs and get lots more people because it's the whole neighborhood. Anything left after that gets donated. I do the consignment store thing with the kids' clothes that are in good shape, but that's about it.
We have one now 'cause my folks gave it to us. Went without quite happily for years. We accepted this one because we felt like it mgiht make mealtime easier with our picky eater and another on the way (at the time). We do use it when DS is super-hungry and can't wait for "normal" food, and I'll reheat leftovers for myself in it. DH calls it "the evil ray"--actually we all call it that now--but still uses it once in a blue moon. I think my teenage DS is the one who uses it...
I've had good results with Seventh Generation gel-type dishwasher detergent. I didn't have good results with Ecover and the LifeTree stuff I used left film all over my glasses. (I like their other stuff, though). I've found each brand has some things that work for me and some that don't.