or Connect

Posts by oaksie68

Love the selections!  I have a couple I'd like to add:   When I'm feeling grumpy about how the media portrays the vaccine topic (and those who do not vax), the Dixie Chicks song, "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice"   Forgive, sounds good. Forget, I'm not sure I could. They say time heals everything, But I'm still waiting I'm through, with doubt, There's nothing left for me to figure out, I've paid a price, and I'll keep paying I'm not ready to make nice, I'm not ready...
to the bolded above. In my experience with my DD, sure some of it is/was normal 13 year old stuff (eye rolling, wanting to spend more time with friends than me, etc.), but some was absolutely her telling us that her school situation was NOT meeting her needs - in ways that she has shown us for YEARS (extreme defiance at home and acting down right angry/miserable, to name a couple). So we moved her to a more challenging STEM MS that she had maxed out by the end of 7th...
DD's attention span is pretty good, especially when she's into the topic. The blocks are 86 minutes long, with a half-hour lunch in the middle of the day. One good thing about the block schedule is that she is able to get her homework done in class sometimes, and/or ask questions about concepts she is unsure about before the next day.I hear you about the no structure or place to get physical activity; the lack of scheduled physical activity would have been a bigger...
Piggybacking on this thought: For DD, it was a dairy sensitivity issue. After finally testing DD for food sensitivities and finding out that dairy was an issue, we removed it (and gluten and eggs) from her diet. For years she snored, thrashed around in bed (causing too little quality sleep), and had night terrors - after removing it, these issues disappeared!So, just something else to think about.
I've posted this is a different thread, but I thought I'd put this update here as well: DD (13 years old) just finished her 1st semester of HS, after skipping 8th grade. She certainly got her first real taste of challenge, both to her intellect, and her executive functioning skills. And learning that even though it sounds fun, maybe joining every after school group you are interested in *may not* be the best use of your time. First real challenge: Honors Conceptual...
A little late for December... DD (13 years old) just finished her 1st semester of HS, after skipping 8th grade. She certainly got her first real taste of challenge, both to her intelect, and her executive functioning skills. And learning that even though it sounds fun, maybe joining every after school group you are interested in *may not* be the best use of your time. First real challenge: Honors Conceptual Physics. She completely missed the Physics unit from last...
We almost always get the kids to send thank yous for gifts, even gift cards. My sisters complain about the lack of thank yous; one of them just started to donate money to worthy causes in their names instead of giving them gifts.
Yes. 4 of the 11 are currently in college - 1 is in his second year and 3 are in their first year (and one more will start next year). This is the approach we are leaning towards. But haven't determined the end age - the generous me says to stop at college graduation. 2 are only children, so stopping the gift giving wouldn't be noticible - the other two have (a) sibling(s) though.But another questions that comes to mind if what if any of the nieces/nephews drop out of...
In my family, we went from giving gifts to everyone(childhood into early marriage), then to picking couples when all siblings were married, to now, only giving gifts to nieces and nephews/grandchildren (although we do give gifts to my two sisters, who are childless;they are quite generous with the gifts they send). So given this scenario, we technically would stop giving the adult nieces/nephews gifts.
As the nieces and nephews on both sides of the families have gotten older, and as we don't live near or see them over the holidays, we have just been giving gift cards (usually an electronic gift card from amazon). Now that a few have reached adulthood and are off to college, we are debating whether or not to continue to give them gift cards. Between the two sides of the families, we have 11 nieces and nephews, so at the usual $25 a pop, it adds up. I'd appreciate...