or Connect

Posts by oaksie68

Up between 4:30 and 5 am to leave the house at 6:30am. I have to get myself up and ready, get DD up at 5:30, DS up a 6, and play the whole re-waker, cheerleader, and/or drill seagent while putting lunchboxes/backpacks together. We have a 30 minute drive to HS for DD. Then another 15 minute drive to ES for DS. ....and yes, I really feel like that's too early....*YAWN*
In total? Drop off then home, pick up then home - 92+ miles per day. 22+ miles to DD's HS (about 30 minute drive), then another 6 miles to DS's ES (10 minutes), then another 18+ miles back home (25 minutes. In the afternoon, lather, rinse repeat, unless a DC has an afternoon activity/club at school, then pick up/waiting time gets interesting. But both kids are thriving at their schools, so there's that.
She still is mostly excited, but is showing some stress and nervousness (and is to be expected no matter what the circumstance!).  And I guess so am I, truth be told!   We finally got her schedule set last week, and she had freshman orientation last Friday.   For those of you who have been following our story, and/or helped me get to this resolution - wish DD good luck!!!
I'm going to go through this tomorrow when we (finally!) get to register DD for HS. Granted, this will be her first year in HS, but is staying in the same school district. I'm dreading it.....blech!
DD was 12 when we had her tested, both to get official documentation for possible placement in a gifted program, but also to provide info and reassurance about making a change of academic setting.  In other words, we were looking for verification that it was okay, and actually necessary to move her to a more rigorous setting to challenge her and provide her access to classes specific to her interest (STEM).   We have not tested DS yet, and are unsure when we will. ...
SHE'S OFFICIALLY IN!   We took a tour before getting official confirmation, and DD literally was vibrating as the tour got to the engineering classrooms.  The coordinator of the program pointed out that was exactly what they were looking for!    He was very generous with his time.  Now to get her to work on her homework for over the summer....And I get to wrap my head around having a high school student in the house.....   Thank you to all for your input and...
So....another update, and it's good too!   So....after a little ball dropping by the MS principal (has been trying to straddle between this job and her new one), we finally got the okay for the skip from the AS of the district on Monday.  We've been nervously waiting (mind you, the school year ended Thursday).  The was the MS principal put it, the AS didn't so much as say  an official "yes" for the skip, he did say it was okay for her to apply to the specialty HS...
It stands for Accelerated Reader, and it's a requirement/percent of total grade for some elementary and middle school students in my area.  Here are a few links to give you some information.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Reader   http://www.renlearn.com/ar/
I needed to limit when DD read HP book 5 and beyond.  She did well up through 4 (in 2nd grade), but once she started reading #5, she started having nightmares, so I told her she need to take a break from reading HP (and I think we waited about a year for her to resume the series).   DD is a big time reader, and a big time re-reader!  She had loved/ renewed her love for the Warrior Series by Erin Hunter, and just re-read a few (they were AR books!, and she wanted to...
I agree with you on these points......most of the angst is coming from DH - DD is his little girl, and he's having a bit of trouble letting go (knows it in his head intellectually, but his heart is lagging behind).  But at the same time, I'm going to make sure the lines of communication are open as much as possible, and also keep my ears and eyes open to problems......