or Connect

Posts by oaksie68

My twelve y/o DD and four y/o DS take a product called D-Hist Jr. that their ND recommended. It has helped their seasonal/environmental allergies. http://www.pureformulas.com/dhist-jr-60-chewable-tablets-by-ortho-molecular-products.html
So I thought I’d post an update: after a couple weeks delay (end of the year activities/work, DH’s hospital stay…) DD finally sat down yesterday to take her Algebra readiness test. It took her less than ½ hour to do the 50 problems.   I gave the test to the MS counselor this morning, and she just called me back and told me, “Your daughter KILLED the test!” She got a 92%! My DH went over the test and thought she had gotten 4 questions wrong (he was correct), so...
  That's great that she had such a supportive and flexible teacher!  We'll see what happens after she takes her Algebra readiness test.  If she gets moved to Algebra (more like when), we'll see how she does with that.  Don't know what the MS will do if she needs further acceleration.  I guess I'll have to become "that parent" :-D.
(   Those classes look AWESOME!  There are definitely a few of those that DD would love to do!  But we are either going to be out of town (especially in July, it's HOT in AZ), or having guests.  And they are in Tucson, which is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from where I live.  But I'm going to watch for these classes for next year, and maybe do a "staycation" in Tucson.    A while ago I found a link to ASU's summer kid's classes, http://community.asu.edu/summer/ which also look...
    I'll look for some tests online, that's a great idea. I'm going to give her a couple of days to recouperate from her GS camping trip this weekend.   And thanks for the great ideas about how to support her. She plans on staying in GS for at least two more years; we both LOVE her leaders, and she is good friends with the girs in her troop. As to the benefit of being in GS, she had a tremendous growth opportunity this weekend while camping with her troop and other...
So I met with the MS counselor today. Overall, I think it went as well as I could have expected.  After talking for a while about the kind of person/student my DD is (and after looking at my DD's statewide testing scores), she was the first to present the idea of having her take an Algebra readiness test.  She sent one home with me for my DD to take, and after my DH looked at it, he remarked, "There is only one thing that she doesn't already know".  If she gets at least...
    Thanks for your insight! I think she does need to get a few challenging situations under her belt that she works through and comes out successful on the other side!  And that's neat that you made that connection.   It's nice to think that I am understanding her and her needs for the future (and not just in schooling either).  I guess all MY schooling is paying off ;-P
       Thank you for this!  This definitely gives me something concrete to discuss with the counselor tomorrow.  Do you or does anyone else have suggestions for websites/workbooks to help her to a) figure out what concepts she currently knows and b) prepare her for taking algebra.  I will ask the school specifics about their math program, and if there is any work (like books, workbooks) that they recommend.    Can you think of other topics of conversation/questions to ask...
  Responses in blue within the original posts (for the most part!).                
How do you find out your child's "upper level" in terms of thier ability to learn, especially in the area of math? I have no idea where the "sweet spot" is for her in terms of being optimally or properly challenged. How do I find this out? How have you all found this out? I'm now feeling more of a sense of urgency to discover this, mainly because she will be moving to middle school next year, and pretty much from here on out, what she does academically will start...