or Connect

Posts by blackbird2

Just wanted to add another recommendation for Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense". I'm not into some of her recommendations for babies, but her overall devision of responsiblity in eating is great. It's hard to trust your child when they don't want to eat, but it's worth it. Good luck!
Just another way to think about it: When DS was born, DP was a student and I was working part time, so we were very equal parents. Now DP is working full time, but I/we still want him to have that close relationship with DS and to feel fully competent as a parent (rather than secondary to me since I do it all the time, see it everyday, know that DS always, etc, etc). So that time when he comes home is his time with DS, not because he has to take over childcare, but...
lizziebits - yeah, I'm with you. He's got plenty of energy and drinks no cow's milk... sbgrace - the supplement i have now is ferric ammonium citrate, with b12 and folic acid. and he is no longer on the multi. this form is supposed to be pretty gentle on the gi tract and well absorbed too, although I make a note of the type of iron you mentioned. regarding lead, I know the two are linked, but i thought the relationship was that in the absense of iron, the body will...
Thanks, everyone He's anemic, but not severely - 11.1 currently (apparently should be 12.5 at least) and perfectly healthy apart from this Maybe I just have a sense that this should correct itself more quickly than it does in reality. I hear you saying a couple months as a minimum, and I'm thinking more like a couple of weeks... I also switched drs in the middle of this because we moved. The first one wanted heavy supplementation, this one is very cautious...
Hello, I have a 17mth old. At his one year check-up his iron levels were tested and they were low (10.4). We tried to work on adding more sources of iron to his diet, and he was retested at 15 mths. Still low (up to 11.3, but we didn't know the exact number at the time). We started giving him a multivitamin (9mg iron), cooking in cast iron, separating calcium from iron sources and making sure iron source were eaten with a vit C source, and basically making sure that...
Hi, so my LO is 17months. His iron has been consistently low since it was first checked at 12 months. I feel like we've done everything possible in terms of diet change, we've used a multivitamin with iron, now we're adding a liquid supplement ... Has anyone BTDT? Can you offer me a few words of support so I don't feel like I'm just forcing all sorts of things down his throat to no avail? Thanks....
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism mid-pregnancy with DS1. There are no natural remedies that I know of, unfortunately, just synthetic thyroid hormone or thyroid hormone from pigs. If you can physically feel a difference in your thyroid gland, I would suggest having your levels tested again, especially if you are TTC. Good luck!
Hi, Just thought I'd add a reference for how many times my freely nursed LO pees per night. He's almost 17 mths. When not teething/waking more frequently than "normal" it's twice a night. With frequent waking, 3 times. I sit on the edge of the bed and nurse him while he sits on the potty. He doesn't even open his eyes, but squirms when he's done. We've done EC with him, so there have been several steps between here and there ... anyway, you're probably looking at...
It's pretty easy to get your Vit D level tested (lab test). Then you'll know where you stand and if you're deficient or not. I just learned about all this myself, so here's what I know: -use D3, not D2 (cheaper to manufactur, but higher danger of toxicity) - you can overdose on Vit D, especially if your diet is high in foods that are already supplemented with it (Vit D milk, cereals, etc) - i'm using a supplement that comes emulsed in sesame oil and it's super easy to...
Yup, I do the same thing too. I get about 8hr of interrupted sleep per night on wk days and every so often need to "reset" by going to bed early with the LO instead of staying up to work or have me time.