or Connect

Posts by Gagesmom

I wish I could recommend, but I am also asking the same question! I am 33, have a DS 3yrs and DD 1yr, and have breast cancer. Hospital stays, long recoveries, and chemo-my poor DS is petrified. I'd love a book or video that could help explain things to him.:
I cannot talk intelligently about them as I don't know enough about it, but they have done studies showing that males have fewer memories of childhood and those memories tend to be less specific than females. Something to do with the way their brains are wired. My DS self-weaned at 22 months. He just turned 3 this month and he remembers nursing, he sometimes even pretends to nurse if we are cuddling, or if he is feeling silly he'll say he's a baby and pretend to...
I would guess that they are more nursing out of comfort/habit and just like having that nipple in their mouth-plus a little milk here and there isn't bad either! I doubt it's an under-supply problem or even a hunger-based thing at this point (though I could be wrong, but you should be able to tell if they're nursing out of hunger or for comfort, right?). If they are really nursing up a storm and are obviously hungry maybe you could try to make sure they get a good amount...
Sadly, both of my children weaned earlier than I would have liked and neither ever looked back again-"no more nursing, thanks but no thanks mom!" and that was that. But, I do feel for you too, seeing your little one so frustrated and not sure how to handle those feelings. I think you're right-she doesn't really neccessarily want to nurse but takes comfort knowing she always COULD if she wanted to, kind of like how my DS was really completely potty-trained but resisted...
My DS would "nurse" his two baby dolls and an assortment of stuffed animals from about the age of 18 months on. He still talks about how I used to nurse him and his baby sister (he is 3) and how he loved his "nursies" when he was a "baby". I love him so much. Aren't little ones so wonderful?
There is an excellent book called "Mothering your nursing toddler" , I forget the author's name but you can find the book at Amazon.com by putting the title in the search engine. It talks a lot about nursing strikes in older babies, how to keep them interested, etc. My DS was exclusively breast-fed and nursed non-stop day and night till he was 12 mnths, then cut back drastically to only morning, nap, and bedtime nursings. He nursed like this till about 20 mnths, then...
Yes, exactly-it's not like formula is sterile, nor is the water you mix it with or the bottles you put it in-and even if it was w/out bacteria that doesn't mean it doesn't have contaminants, pollutants, etc. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
[
Seriously, my son nursed ALL NIGHT LONG until he was 11 months old. His teeth are perfect (he is now 3). HOWEVER, he never even got his first tooth till he was nearly 10 months old, so by the time he started sleeping all night and not waking to nurse, he only had 4 teeth. He DID nurse down for naps and bedtime, tho, till he was 22 months, and no dental/teeth problems. I always brushed his teeth with just the tiniest dab of flouride toothpaste on recommendation by a...
My father (who is 61) was very supportive of my breastfeeding my DS and was much chagrinned when he self-weaned at 22 mnths. He comes from a farm family and he was used to babies nursing well into their 3rd year. Who would ever think a rugged old redneck would be so pro-AP??