or Connect

Posts by carseatqueen

I've had 3 births- two of them home births with LOL on Lutz. Their location would be great for you and the midwives are wonderful. I do know they are so busy that they are doing less home births now, but their birth center is great and just like a home. Granted, I prefer my home, but I'd go there way before trying UC or any hospital.    There are other midwives in the area that do home births. You just have to ask around the right circles. :-) The Tampa area has some...
I know this isn't a new thread, but I figured I could throw out some ideas too.   We moved to 5 acres and ended up getting pregnant the month we moved in. (Surprise!) NOT expected. So, After 9 months I had a newborn, 2.75 yr old, 5 year old, and 9 year old. The month after I had the baby we got our first horses (we board some for income), the next month my DD got two dairy goats (We had one that died the month after I had the baby) along with the chickens, dogs, and...
We have one Muscovy and 14 Pekings. (Yes, it's the odd duck. Lol) One thing to remember is they fly VERY well, so if you went with Pekings or another non-flying breed they are easier to keep in/out where you want them. Our goat fence keeps the Pekings in better than it does the goats.   Our chickens are free range and can fly, so I put my garden in our "front yard" since the chickens don't go up there. It's on the other side of the house and over the privacy fence....
I wouldn't worry much about rats if your coop is off the ground and you store the food somewhere secure. They are really after either the food or the dark hiding place. IMO, not worth a cat unless you really just want one anyway. We haven't had any rats or mice in our coops or goat barn (which we don't feed in), but we do get them in the feed room. They just want the food.    Don't leave feed in the coop overnight, and really, if you can it's best if you just feed...
I haven't met any other MDC mommas (that I know of, anyway) but Brandon has several very active home school groups. There are also very active babywearing meetings, a cloth diaper group, and an active LLL group. I know there are several other "crunchy" groups that are active in the area- I just don't know all of the specifics since I'm too busy to even think of doing anything else.    I think you'll be able to find some like-minded moms.
We have a true modular. Built in 3 pieces in a factory, put on a concrete/brick foundation with no metal frame. It won't ever move again and is deeded as a house- no title. We are super, super, happy with it. We put it on our 5 acres for double the square footage we would have gotten with a traditionally build simple home. It's a Palm Harbor/Discovery Custom Home. http://www.discoverycustomhomes.com/   We didn't go way over budget like many site built homes where...
If they are really nice looking- especially if they are cute Gymboree ones or something, I donate them or gift them with other hand me downs to a friend.   If they are super faded, stained, or generally "done" then I throw them in the rag bin. They are great for cleaning up something gross and sometimes I just throw them away after a nasty mess.
I've been wondering how you were since you stopped posting here and I got your email about closing your store early. (I've ordered stuff from  you, but it's been a few years. ;-)   I'm glad to hear he arrived safely and pray he will continue to do well until he can have a transplant. Thanks for the update.
Labor of Love in Lutz will also do homebirths in the Brandon area. I've had one baby at their birth center and two at home and both were really great experiences.  
Mini pack and play, sling, couch (usually with me next to him- we've been Amazon shopping a lot. LOL), bowl chair (I can see him from the living room/kitchen), with DD or DH, etc. Right now he's sleeping next to me on the couch cuddled up to my leg.